Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
    Advanced Taster

Re: What Rye are you enjoying Summer 2012?

I picked up a bottle of Bulleit rye over the holiday so I could try the LDI 95% rye mashbill. The Bulleit is an interesting flavor change from that of the Ritt BiB I have been drinking. I don't know if I like the Bulleit better than the Ritt but I must say I am more impressed with the Bulleit rye than I was with their bourbon.

I also picked up some WT101 rye but have not yet had a pour. I feel a little bad because I bought the last 3 bottles on the shelf, I hope I find it to my liking.
    Jim

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by JB64 View Post
    I also picked up some WT101 rye but have not yet had a pour. I feel a little bad because I bought the last 3 bottles on the shelf, I hope I find it to my liking.
    Don't feel bad, those bottles have been there for quite a while since the 81 came out. Everyone else had their chance.

Advanced Taster

Had my first sip of Vintage 21 last night. Now I know what all the fuss is about.

What's the latest educated guess on the provenance of this stuff? Searching all the old threads here makes my head spin, but from what I can tell the Vintage Ryes are Medley, Saz 18 is Bernheim Cream of Kentucky, and current VWFRR is a vatting of the two. Have I got that right? From what I can taste (and remember of the other two), that does make sense.
    trying to walk a straight line,
    on sour mash and cheap wine

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Smithford View Post
    Had my first sip of Vintage 21 last night. Now I know what all the fuss is about.

What's the latest educated guess on the provenance of this stuff? Searching all the old threads here makes my head spin, but from what I can tell the Vintage Ryes are Medley, Saz 18 is Bernheim Cream of Kentucky, and current VWFRR is a vatting of the two. Have I got that right? From what I can taste (and remember of the other two), that does make sense.
    Regarding KBD provenance, I can point you towards this amazing answer from Drew:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?13585-Whiskey-Trails-17-Year-Old-Bourbon&p=215661&viewfull=1#post215661

Last edited by LostBottle; 09-05-2012 at 14:18.

Guru

Goodness that got heated, ha.

Maybe I sould care, I probably should care, but when it tastes as good as the V21 does, I just can't get too worked up about it.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Smithford View Post

From what I gathered doing a bit of research, the Saz18 was distilled under contract in 1985 at what is now BT and sold back to BT around '98. Then it was put in stainless around 2003.

I'm not sure about the Vintage ryes, but someone on here remarked that the V21 and the V23 were from different sources. The VWFRR is said to be a vatting of CoK and Medley that was tanked around 2003, and maybe, just maaaaaaybe some 13yo BT-distilled rye thrown in for good measure. But who knows.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--