Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    Converting a family member to becoming a rye fan,consecutive pours of Willett "Groundbreaker",Baby Saz and Ritt BIB; he is coming around nicely.
    Is that Willet going to be gone before I get to try it?
    Lurk on
    Is not posting on a thread a bad thing when you're not an expert on the given topic?
    Lurk off

Guru

Re: What Rye are you enjoying Summer 2012?

Curious too, as I'll go tomorrow if need be.

Guru
    Having a tasty pour High West Rendezvous Rye tonight... Should've gotten a bottle of this long ago!
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by the Duff View Post
    Is that Willet going to be gone before I get to try it?
    Quit whining,there is always an open door over here.

Connoisseur

Had a High West Double Rye! and Copper Fox rye last night in between beers along the H St. NE corridor. Double Rye! was a bit sweeter than I thought it would be, almost as though it were an Old Fashioned using a young LDI rye, in which the older whiskey was used in lieu of simple syrup. Pretty good, IMO. I also liked the Copper Fox, despite my loathing of cherry wood and general distaste for pot still products. I guess I need to reassess what I think I like. Since this is a rye thread, I should note that the Copper Fox tasted very little like a rye. The only hint of spice came in at the end, in a subtle little goodbye as part of the finish. Without knowing it was 67% rye (or close to it), I wouldn't have been able to tell there was more than 15% in there.

Enthusiast

Broke open a handle of Fleischman's Rye this weekend that YoungBlackSmith was kind enough to snag for me up in WI.

Damn good stuff for as cheap as it is. The nose is a high 80 point score - it's really quite nice.

The pallet, as you'd expect, is a tad thin (80 proof/3 years) and a bit watery, but I can still justify it as a sipper on a hot night or when you want to stay on the lighter side, but still soak up all those juicy rye flavors.

This is probably the perfect mixing rye - I added a few drops of St. Elizabeth's Allspice dram and was bowled over by the heat and spice that the two spirits brought out of each other...

Obviously hard to get hold of, but it's worth every penny of the $18 for a 1.75liter bottle!

Thanks Aaron - this is really worth having on hand!

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

This could be one of those "power of suggestion" things, or maybe, it's just a good combo. But, the final part of dinner tonight, was some Tomato Caprese that we whipped up. The basil on the dish was particularly and wonderfully pungent. So afterwards, while I was sitting out in the garage listening to the Braves on the radio and sippin' on a little High West Double Rye!, I was smacked in the head with a basil note to this whiskey. It really is a wonderful flavoring, here. The flavor is familiar to both the Barton and LDI ryes, which I think this whiskey is derived from?? It's nice. Very nice. As I said, this could be just a carryover from din-din, but I think there is more to it within my palate. At any rate, I am enjoying this whiskey.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

Knob Creek, and I must say, it is pretty darn good stuff! Really enjoying this pour.

Disciple

Wild Turkey Rye 101. I really think this is a great pour, and a great value. I'm sad to see it gone.

Novice

Rye Turkey 101 here also. My first rye, and I love it. Haven't seen the KC rye yet, but when I do I'm going to grab some.