Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Re: What Rye are you enjoying Summer 2012?

Bulleit tonight. Always a good choice. In-your-face rye spice and fruitiness with a good balance of oak.

Connoisseur

Going with dueling 3/4 oz. pours of newly opened bottles Rittenhouse 100 ($16.99) and Wild Turkey 101 ($19.99).

I did this with the purpose of picking a favorite "well" rye for mixing cocktails.

I think I have to go with the Rittenhouse here. It's got a more subtle and fruity nose, less alcohol burn on the palate. Longer and sweeter finish. The WT is bolder on the palate, but it's got a little too much bitter wood taste.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    TH Handy. I don't know the year, and frankly I don't care, as I have found each release to be consistently magnificent. Tonight's experience is no exception. A magnificent rye that explodes with flavor. As has been reported here many times, it's still easy to find on many shelves, and passed over frequently by our members here on SB. All I can say is Thank You! I'm cool with the sloppy seconds...
    I've read the reports of it laying around, but I've never seen it (outside of the one bottle I picked up on special order). At the 2012 GBS Summer Extravaganza, let me know where these gem-stores are hidden I've got a 2011 which I absolutely love, and would pick up another bottle for sure if I had the chance (although that one is still more than half full).
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Taster

Having a pour of High West Double Rye while throwing a pork loin on the grill.

Enthusiast

Willett 3 yr used to be readily available at my local Costco for $29.99. Then I started finding Willett 5yr for $30.99 at a local shop. Now both are gone, with the 5 yr showing up every so often at $36.99. The price increase isn't huge, but it is giving me pause. And with Ritt readily available at $21.....
    tl; dnr

Connoisseur

Picked up three bottles of WTR 101 for the bunker. My wife OK'd a case if I can find it around on different shelves...
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Virtuoso

I'm really enjoying a nice pour of KC Rye. I like this stuff more every time I pour a glass.

Advanced Taster

Just cracked the wax on a 2012 Willett Family Estate Bottled Single Barrel Rye 6 year, Barrel 58, 110 Proof.

Probably the first Rye I've had neat. It's much sweet than I expected. Plenty of peppery spice throughout. I get a little bit of menthol in the finish.

It's interesting. I'll have to compare with the Fall 2011 Handy I recently picked up.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by soonami View Post
    It's much sweet than I expected.
    Surprising to most, I generally find many of them to be one the sweeter side. It's not something that one would immediately think.

Saz Jr for me tonight. Always a great standard.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Connoisseur

Earlier today I was looking at Crater Lake and enjoying my sandwich and a pour of Handy in a Dixie Cup - perfect!