Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What Rye are you enjoying Summer 2012?

I watched the latest episode of Breaking Bad on the DVR last night and at one point Walt's brother-in-law, Hank (the DEA agent), sits down in his boss's office and they pour themselves a round of WhistlePig, so that's what I reached for too. Man, I love that stuff! When the show was over I also had an Old Potrero and listened to some tunes before hitting the hay. Slept like a baby!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    My first pour out of my first bottle of Vintage Rye 21 yo.
    When you pull the cork from that bottle, the clouds part, rays of sunshine beam down on you, and the angels cry out of jealousy.

One of my favorite whiskies ever.

Advanced Taster

Tried a number of Ryes last night. Whistlepig was the reason for the gathering. A friend sourced a bottle and got it here to TX. It's a good solid whiskey. Not sure about the price. I thought Handy was superior.

In the low cost rye bracket, I found that baby saz did not hold up as well as I thought it would against WTR 101 and Rittenhouse.

We also opened bottles of Gooderham & Worts and Lot 40. Both of these were good. Quite a bit sweeter than the low cost bracket. Lot 40 did not have much in the way of the rye spiciness that I am used to. G&W had a bit more, but was still mild in comparison to the ritt, for example.

It was a good night. I have a new appreciation for ryes!

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by redbear View Post
    Tried a number of Ryes last night. Whistlepig was the reason for the gathering. A friend sourced a bottle and got it here to TX. It's a good solid whiskey. Not sure about the price. I thought Handy was superior.

In the low cost rye bracket, I found that baby saz did not hold up as well as I thought it would against WTR 101 and Rittenhouse.

We also opened bottles of Gooderham & Worts and Lot 40. Both of these were good. Quite a bit sweeter than the low cost bracket. Lot 40 did not have much in the way of the rye spiciness that I am used to. G&W had a bit more, but was still mild in comparison to the ritt, for example.

I'm in complete agreement with you on the Pig, Handy, and the low cost Ryes.

Apprentice

Pendleton 1910 Rye. Interesting bottle.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Evets View Post
    Pendleton 1910 Rye. Interesting bottle.
    Any notes or specific thoughts? I'm curious about this one...

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    Any notes or specific thoughts? I'm curious about this one...
    I am always shy about reviewing something after only one glass (especially when the bottle has just been opened) but here goes. A nice nose with many of the spices that one would expect from a rye and also that the reviews mention on this one. It did have an odd fragrance of green olives to me though! I wouldn't be surprised if that was not there the next time (I find that sometimes there are odd notes after a bottle is first opened). The taste was somewhat "relaxed" from what I normally expect of a rye. I often hear of Canadian whisky as being more "rounded" and smooth and this seemed to be the case. Sort of a kindler, gentler rye. Nothing like Rittenhouse. Not too sweet but not dry. Medium-long finish. I enjoyed it but need more time with it to get a better sense of it. Hope this helps.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by redbear View Post

I find WhistlePig to be on the pricey side too and would buy it regularly if it were closer to $50 or so. Having said that, I find it to be a stellar pour and can't get enough of the stuff. Not sure I could compare it to Handy, as they are just too different to me. Sounds like you guys had a great time with your tasting. Good one!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

I wouldn't say enjoying, but...

Toured WT today. My gf made the mistake of sampling the Rye 81. I made the mistake of sampling her sampling.

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    I wouldn't say enjoying, but...

Toured WT today. My gf made the mistake of sampling the Rye 81. I made the mistake of sampling her sampling.

Pretty bad isn't it ?? I sample some too in April yuck!
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.