Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thomas H Handy

Thomas H Handy

See a few stores with multiple bottles. Price is just under $90. Can't seem to find any other BTAC around like this one. Is the Handy just not one that people shop for?

Connoisseur

Re: Thomas H Handy

Quote Originally Posted by rutterb View Post
    See a few stores with multiple bottles. Price is just under $90. Can't seem to find any other BTAC around like this one. Is the Handy just not one that people shop for?
    Yeah, Handy seems to be the unpopular one along with ER17. I'd be all over the Handy if it were a bit cheaper. There is still over a case of it at $79 at one of my local stores from the fall release.

Connoisseur

Same here. If it was $50 I'd spring for a few. At $69 it's kind of a special occasion purchase.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Enthusiast

I like Handy and think it a fine rye. For the price, I'd take 4 Ritt BiB every time. Nothing wrong with it, just overpriced.
    tl; dnr

Disciple

Agree - it is one of those "special pour" whiskeys, although I never see it around Atlanta except right after it comes out in the fall. It is my all-time favorite rye, but not a "daily drinker" at that price.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Enthusiast

To me Handy is a benchmark rye: the Stagg of ryes, at almost 130 proof and loaded with unadulterated rye flavor. Worth every penny of $70 IMHO.
    "Civilization begins with distillation."

William Faulkner

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by wmpevans View Post
    To me Handy is a benchmark rye: the Stagg of ryes, at almost 130 proof and loaded with unadulterated rye flavor. Worth every penny of $70 IMHO.
    I'd agree with everything you said if it were a bit older. While barrel strength is always a plus in my book, at this price I'd love to see it with 10+ years of age.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Tico View Post
    I'd agree with everything you said if it were a bit older. While barrel strength is always a plus in my book, at this price I'd love to see it with 10+ years of age.
    Try to get your hands on some of the old Bowman Rye from TPS if you can. It's 10+ year old BT Rye (so it's Handy/Sazerac) at about 140 proof.

Nectar of the gods is an understatement.

About $5-$10 more than Handy, however, if you can find it... They only ever released 3 barrels.

Virtuoso

Handy is stellar rye, and your first bottle is not to be missed. Once you know it, however, the high price tag quickly becomes a barrier to entry. My first bottle of 2010 taught me that I love rye whiskey, but I didn't bother to drop another $80 on last year's release. I've picked up a bottle here and there at around $65. If it was $50, I'd never not have any.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    Try to get your hands on some of the old Bowman Rye from TPS if you can. It's 10+ year old BT Rye (so it's Handy/Sazerac) at about 140 proof.

Nectar of the gods is an understatement.

About $5-$10 more than Handy, however, if you can find it... They only ever released 3 barrels.
    Bingo! The barrel-strength Bowman really shows the potential for the Handy with a little extra age on it. I tried both side-by-side and there was no comparison. The Handy smelled, and tasted, like paint thinner (OK not that bad, but you get the picture it was much more astringent and lacking in flavor) in comparison to the richness of the Bowman.

At 6-7 years old, the Handy should be dropped from the antique collection and be available year round for a few bucks less. While a very good rye, it is not one of the greats.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 06-25-2012 at 23:01.