Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 55

Thread: Thomas H Handy

  1. #1

    Thomas H Handy

    See a few stores with multiple bottles. Price is just under $90. Can't seem to find any other BTAC around like this one. Is the Handy just not one that people shop for?

  2. #2
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    579

    Re: Thomas H Handy

    Quote Originally Posted by rutterb View Post
    See a few stores with multiple bottles. Price is just under $90. Can't seem to find any other BTAC around like this one. Is the Handy just not one that people shop for?
    Yeah, Handy seems to be the unpopular one along with ER17. I'd be all over the Handy if it were a bit cheaper. There is still over a case of it at $79 at one of my local stores from the fall release.

  3. #3
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kilgore, TX
    Posts
    681

    Re: Thomas H Handy

    Same here. If it was $50 I'd spring for a few. At $69 it's kind of a special occasion purchase.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

  4. #4
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    298

    Re: Thomas H Handy

    I like Handy and think it a fine rye. For the price, I'd take 4 Ritt BiB every time. Nothing wrong with it, just overpriced.
    tl; dnr

  5. #5
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    1,837

    Re: Thomas H Handy

    Agree - it is one of those "special pour" whiskeys, although I never see it around Atlanta except right after it comes out in the fall. It is my all-time favorite rye, but not a "daily drinker" at that price.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

  6. #6
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    335

    Re: Thomas H Handy

    To me Handy is a benchmark rye: the Stagg of ryes, at almost 130 proof and loaded with unadulterated rye flavor. Worth every penny of $70 IMHO.
    "Civilization begins with distillation."

    William Faulkner

  7. #7
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    579

    Re: Thomas H Handy

    Quote Originally Posted by wmpevans View Post
    To me Handy is a benchmark rye: the Stagg of ryes, at almost 130 proof and loaded with unadulterated rye flavor. Worth every penny of $70 IMHO.
    I'd agree with everything you said if it were a bit older. While barrel strength is always a plus in my book, at this price I'd love to see it with 10+ years of age.

  8. #8
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    464

    Re: Thomas H Handy

    Quote Originally Posted by Tico View Post
    I'd agree with everything you said if it were a bit older. While barrel strength is always a plus in my book, at this price I'd love to see it with 10+ years of age.
    Try to get your hands on some of the old Bowman Rye from TPS if you can. It's 10+ year old BT Rye (so it's Handy/Sazerac) at about 140 proof.

    Nectar of the gods is an understatement.

    About $5-$10 more than Handy, however, if you can find it... They only ever released 3 barrels.

  9. #9
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Chicago 'burbs
    Posts
    1,016

    Re: Thomas H Handy

    Handy is stellar rye, and your first bottle is not to be missed. Once you know it, however, the high price tag quickly becomes a barrier to entry. My first bottle of 2010 taught me that I love rye whiskey, but I didn't bother to drop another $80 on last year's release. I've picked up a bottle here and there at around $65. If it was $50, I'd never not have any.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

  10. #10
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    948

    Re: Thomas H Handy

    Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    Try to get your hands on some of the old Bowman Rye from TPS if you can. It's 10+ year old BT Rye (so it's Handy/Sazerac) at about 140 proof.

    Nectar of the gods is an understatement.

    About $5-$10 more than Handy, however, if you can find it... They only ever released 3 barrels.
    Bingo! The barrel-strength Bowman really shows the potential for the Handy with a little extra age on it. I tried both side-by-side and there was no comparison. The Handy smelled, and tasted, like paint thinner (OK not that bad, but you get the picture it was much more astringent and lacking in flavor) in comparison to the richness of the Bowman.

    At 6-7 years old, the Handy should be dropped from the antique collection and be available year round for a few bucks less. While a very good rye, it is not one of the greats.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 06-25-2012 at 23:01.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Thomas Handy 2010
    By Virus_Of_Life in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 03-30-2011, 20:27
  2. WTB: Thomas H. Handy 2007
    By AVB in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-26-2009, 17:39
  3. Thomas Handy Sazerac Rye
    By leebo in forum Other American Whiskey Tastings
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-06-2007, 17:44
  4. THomas H. Handy???
    By Scooby in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-24-2007, 11:29

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top