Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Connoisseur

Littlemill 17yr?

Found a couple of bottle of this kicking around. I know the distillery closed in 96 IIRC. Never had anything from Littlemill but whiskey from no longer existing distilleries is very interesting to me.

Anyone had this before?

Thanks!

Connoisseur

Re: Littlemill 17yr?

Quote Originally Posted by Tico View Post
    Found a couple of bottle of this kicking around. I know the distillery closed in 96 IIRC. Never had anything from Littlemill but whiskey from no longer existing distilleries is very interesting to me.

Anyone had this before?

Thanks!
    Haven't had it before, but it is a silent Lowland distillery - surprisingly little info in Michael Jackson's book or on malt maniacs site ... but, it might be worth picking up, esp. at that price, given it appears most bottlings with tasting notes seem to be independent bottlers - that appears to be an official bottling from the distillery.

According to Jackson's book, it is also one of a few distillery's that can claim to be the original distillery in Scotland - dating back to the 1750's... certainly a historical piece, if nothing else. Nice find!
    Mark

Enthusiast

I haven't had Littlemill in a while; while I can't give tasting notes, I remember it being quite good. At $57, it's worth a try to see if you like it.

Virtuoso

Littlemill is not a very well regarded distillery in general. I don't think I've ever had one that has done much for me, though I haven't had the one you picture there.

Connoisseur

Thanks for all the info!

Enthusiast

Littlemill doesn't have the greatest reputiation and I agree bottlings from this distillery can be underwhelming

But right now we see a lot of independent bottlings from Littlemill that are stellar . I tasted a few good ones in Limburg, there tend to be a few out from german bottlers

WHiskybase has/had a couple of stellar bottlings out

The lastest is reviewed by Whiskynotes here : http://www.whiskynotes.be/2012/littl...1988-archives/

and I tried the former here : http://danishwhiskyblog.blogspot.dk/...bel/Littlemill

TWE also has this one out http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-15347.aspx which I havent tried, but TWE standards in cask selection keep impressing me

One of the guys behind whiskybase is a Littlemill collector, and probably has the worlds largest collection of Littlemill. He says its because he is the only one collecting Littlemill :-)

SO instead of aiming for these not so good Littlemills like the one pictured in this thread OP, I would try to find some of these 88-89 vintages or so Littemills which right now seem to flood the market (thats on the Littlemill scale)

Littlemills are different and they often have this herbal note which is good when well integrated, especially into a sherry profile

Steffen
    Last edited by macdeffe; 06-17-2012 at 01:37.

Enthusiast

Whiskyfun happens to review a range of the Littlemill's I was talking about

I think this support my thoughts that this is where to shop for Littlemill

http://www.whiskyfun.com/#200612

Steffen

Disciple

The Metro Atlanta Scotch Club had a tasting last week which included a Littlemill. It was OK, but light on character (especially if you're a bourbon fan!) Had a sweetness that reminded me of Southern Corn Whiskey, but with that scotchy/medicinal twist.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins