Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

BOTM: 7/12 Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye

I was chatting with another member last night. He was having a pour of VWFRR. A little later, I started wondering to myself if it's been the BOTM yet. It hasn't, so the BOTM for this month is VWFRR.

Most of you know I like my wheaters. For the most part, I really don't care too much for ryes. They just aren't in my wheelhouse, if you know what I mean. With that being said, the VWFRR is one of only two or three ryes that I do like. To me, the flavor/taste isn't quite as dry and spicy as most other ryes. IMHO, I consider it a pretty darn nice pour. So, without further adieu, let's here what you all have to say about VWFRR.

PS...... It would be appreciated if some of you (smokinjoe ) would use just a slight modicum of decorum when posting their thoughts, lest Julian get the wrong impression........ again! Just kidding Joe. Love ya' pal........ Cheers! Joe (the GOOD one)
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

Re: BOTM: 7/12 Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye

Just had a pour last night, probably my favorite rye and top ten whiskey. I just wish it was more widely available because I could easily burn through a bottle every few weeks.

Guru

I have sadly never had their rye, but it is surely a goal to grab some this year.

Disciple

Man, what a Whiskey. It's marries the minty/spice of young rye with the warm vanilla/oak of elder Rye, but then it adds a fat sweetness, the likes of which I just don't get on other Ryes. I love Vintage 21, Hirsch 22 and 25, Black Maple 23, Saz 18, but none of them can touch this one, IMHO. Also, while I do drink more Bourbon than Rye, I don't think VWFRR can be touched by any category.

I've had some rare bottlings that I've enjoyed more, possibly, but they're either dusty or one-offs. Dare I say that I think this is the finest, current regular-release whiskey of them all. Yeah, I like it.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Man, what a Whiskey. It's marries the minty/spice of young rye with the warm vanilla/oak of elder Rye, but then it adds a fat sweetness, the likes of which I just don't get on other Ryes. I love Vintage 21, Hirsch 22 and 25, Black Maple 23, Saz 18, but none of them can touch this one, IMHO. Also, while I do drink more Bourbon than Rye, I don't think VWFRR can be touched by any category.

I've had some rare bottlings that I've enjoyed more, possibly, but they're either dusty or one-offs. Dare I say that I think this is the finest, current regular-release whiskey of them all. Yeah, I like it.
    I pretty much agree with what White Dog says. I love the VWFRR, but rarely pour it because of its scarcity. It's a terrific whiskey though!
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Connoisseur

I had my first pour of this recently in a bar and didn't come away terribly impressed. Perhaps my expectations were too high. Not that it was bad, but I have a creeping feeling that the label gives it more shelf cred than it deserves.

However, for the sake of science, I don't think I'll be able to resist picking up a bottle if I come across one in the Fall.

Disciple

I'm a bit shocked by how quiet this month's thread is, considering what it is. Maybe Joe's warning scared everyone away?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    I'm a bit shocked by how quiet this month's thread is, considering what it is. Maybe Joe's warning scared everyone away?
    Whats to say? It's the best! I can't even bring myself to open one until I become a better person
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Connoisseur

I've never tried it, but I have enjoyed most of the other ryes I've tasted. At one time or another, I've seen the other VW products in stores, but never the rye. I'm wondering what the regular retail price should be. I'm guessing it would be close to the same as Lot B, because they are about the same age. What do you guys think?

Disciple

Age statement comparisons aside, I find it from between $60 and $70, and that's a fair price, IMHO.