Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

BOTM: 7/12 Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye

I was chatting with another member last night. He was having a pour of VWFRR. A little later, I started wondering to myself if it's been the BOTM yet. It hasn't, so the BOTM for this month is VWFRR.

Most of you know I like my wheaters. For the most part, I really don't care too much for ryes. They just aren't in my wheelhouse, if you know what I mean. With that being said, the VWFRR is one of only two or three ryes that I do like. To me, the flavor/taste isn't quite as dry and spicy as most other ryes. IMHO, I consider it a pretty darn nice pour. So, without further adieu, let's here what you all have to say about VWFRR.

PS...... It would be appreciated if some of you (smokinjoe ) would use just a slight modicum of decorum when posting their thoughts, lest Julian get the wrong impression........ again! Just kidding Joe. Love ya' pal........ Cheers! Joe (the GOOD one)
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

Re: BOTM: 7/12 Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye

Just had a pour last night, probably my favorite rye and top ten whiskey. I just wish it was more widely available because I could easily burn through a bottle every few weeks.

Guru

I have sadly never had their rye, but it is surely a goal to grab some this year.

Disciple

Man, what a Whiskey. It's marries the minty/spice of young rye with the warm vanilla/oak of elder Rye, but then it adds a fat sweetness, the likes of which I just don't get on other Ryes. I love Vintage 21, Hirsch 22 and 25, Black Maple 23, Saz 18, but none of them can touch this one, IMHO. Also, while I do drink more Bourbon than Rye, I don't think VWFRR can be touched by any category.

I've had some rare bottlings that I've enjoyed more, possibly, but they're either dusty or one-offs. Dare I say that I think this is the finest, current regular-release whiskey of them all. Yeah, I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    I have sadly never had their rye, but it is surely a goal to grab some this year.
    I remember when I found my first bottle of VWFRR. Kinda took me by surprise. I had to double check the bottle to make sure what it was. Hang in there man. It'll happen sooner or later.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

VWFRR is a very good whiskey. What I have found is that it really opens up nicely after the bottle has been opened for several months. The fruitiness comes out after time and the VWFRR goes from an exceptional rye to a stunner in its class.

VWFRR as BOTM is certainly well deserved and an overdue acknowledgement.
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    I remember when I found my first bottle of VWFRR. Kinda took me by surprise. I had to double check the bottle to make sure what it was. Hang in there man. It'll happen sooner or later.
    I remember finding my first bottle also, actually there were 3 on the shelf. I was VERY new to bourbon, and knew nothing of rye. Needless to say, they all stayed on the shelf..DOH!!!!
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Connoisseur

This thread gave me an excuse to have another pour tonight. It really has it all.... concentration, complexity, spice, richness with a touch of creaminess. While I can appreciate ryes on the other side of the spectrum, this is absolutely my favorite. Can't say enough about it, terrific stuff!

Irreverent One

I have one open bottle and one not yet open. I treasure them both, partly because I don't expect to ever find one again.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    I have one open bottle and one not yet open. I treasure them both, partly because I don't expect to ever find one again.
    I have one unopened bottle and it will stay that way for awhile, as I don't expect to ever find another. Fortunately I've had a few chances to try it, so hopefully the generosity of others will keep me going until I can wait no more.
    tl; dnr