Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Disciple

Re: BOTM: 7/12 Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye

In my state, Rye and 15yr are the rarest of the rare. You never see them on shelves anymore, and if you have not already made relationships with retailers, forget about it.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    I've never seen VWFRR on the shelf. In your experience, how easy is it to find compared to Lot B and the rest of the Pappy line?
    I've seen every bottling of pappy and old rip on the shelf multiple times, only seen VWFRR once in the wild.

Taster

These threads make me sad that I passed on some VW Rye last November. But thankfully local bar has it for $12 for 2 oz pours. Never had it blind though. Wonder if I could pick it out of a lineup.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Age statement comparisons aside, I find it from between $60 and $70, and that's a fair price, IMHO.
    Not just fair, that price is practically giving it away in this market. #1 for its actual age, and #2 it's one of the best whiskeys on the market today period. I have to agree it's the rarest of all the VanWinkle/Pappy line out here. I've never seen one in the wild.

Connoisseur

quite rare. I'm gonna make it my number 1 choice at the next release.
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Advanced Taster

Gee, thanks, Joe. I had been saving opening my sole bottle of VWFRR for an occasion more special than a break in the heat wave, but I'm always game to join the BOTM discussion (assuming a rye can be bourbon of the month)--especially if I have the subject at hand in hand. So I've been sampling my VWFRR for a couple of weeks now. I want to love it, but I just don't. I like it--pretty much, I guess, as the bottle's level is lowering quickly--but I don't love it. Like Joe, I love my wheaters, esp. my Van Winkles. But I like my rye on the rough side. The VWFRR has a great nose, decent legs, and okay mouth feel. It's got a nice dose of the heat and spice I like in a rye, but the finish doesn't linger as I hoped it would. As suggested on an earlier post, I'll let the open bottle rest till winter, and see how I feel then. I like rye better in the cold months anyway. When I have a hankering for a rye now, I think I'll keep reaching for something Handy.

Taster

Another "one of my favorites" - I got lucky the past two releases (that included the rye) with one bottle each time, I rarely break it out because I treasure it so much, though! Need to fix that thinking.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    Gee, thanks, Joe. I had been saving opening my sole bottle of VWFRR for an occasion more special than a break in the heat wave, but I'm always game to join the BOTM discussion (assuming a rye can be bourbon of the month)--especially if I have the subject at hand in hand. So I've been sampling my VWFRR for a couple of weeks now. I want to love it, but I just don't. I like it--pretty much, I guess, as the bottle's level is lowering quickly--but I don't love it. Like Joe, I love my wheaters, esp. my Van Winkles. But I like my rye on the rough side. The VWFRR has a great nose, decent legs, and okay mouth feel. It's got a nice dose of the heat and spice I like in a rye, but the finish doesn't linger as I hoped it would. As suggested on an earlier post, I'll let the open bottle rest till winter, and see how I feel then. I like rye better in the cold months anyway. When I have a hankering for a rye now, I think I'll keep reaching for something Handy.
    I felt the same way until I started taking larger than normal amounts into my mouth. I was thinking VWFRR needs to touch all the parts in your mouth at once to really get what I think is a very elegant whisky. This isn't a regular whiskey and that's why I find it unique to have to drink it like it's something other than whiskey to find that elegance, kind of a paradox. It does possess something entirely different than any other whiskey I've tried. Now, don't get me wrong, I'd trade anyone a bottle of it for a 2008 or older PVW 15 but I do think it's a special whiskey. Last fall, I ran across, if I remember correctly, five bottles. I have one left from the fall now and I gave one to a really good friend. Guess, I liked it enough to go through three bottles. The funny thing is, is I hit this rural area near KY about a week after the allocation and I found only these ryes. I think I grabbed 1 of 2 ORVW 107s off the shelves & I saw a 23yo there. Here in LA, forget it, VW isn't on the shelves unless it's an overpriced ORVW and that usually means the 90 proof. I can go tomorrow & get 5 Handy bottles within 5 miles from my place. I love that one too and glad I can usually find it any day of the year. But if VWFRR was out there tomorrow I'd be on my way before they opened.
    Last edited by jeanraulmitchell; 07-31-2012 at 01:39.

Guru

The Van Winkle rye is bourbonesque. Like the post before this one said, "...a very elegant whiskey".
    ovh

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    The Van Winkle rye is bourbonesque. Like the post before this one said, "...a very elegant whiskey".
    How very true. I pull my open bottle out from time to time and always marvel at its roundness and elegance. Such a shame that the stuff is now rare as hen's teeth.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet