Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: So I bought a few cigars...

Sorry, the Cain is actually called Oliva Cain. And the Daytona I got is the double toro, sucker is huge!

The Brick House is a robusto. Guy at the store said they were great value for the money so we'll see.

Virtuoso

I just ordered a cheap humidor from Amazon along with a better hygrometer and a Drymistat humidifier tube. I've got some spanish cedar I've collected from cigar boxes that I'll put in the humidor. Any tips for seasoning a humidor?

Connoisseur
    I was told to stick a small cap of water. In the humidor. You may need to do it a couple of times for up to a week.

Connoisseur

Wipe the inside wood surfaces with a damp (not dripping wet) rag or sponge. Then place a shot glass or other small glass of distilled water in the humidor for a day or two. While you are awaiting that, do the salt test on your hygrometer and calibrate it. Once you are at least above 50 humidity you can start putting your cigars in your humidor.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    Went to a local tobacco shop today. Walked out with a Brick House and a Cain Daytona on the recommendation of the guy working there.
    I almost picked up the Daytona yesterday, instead I walked out with a Quesada Oktoberfest and a Casa Magna Colorado Torito. The CM colorado was a very nice smoke. Physically, very even burn, nice draw and the ash held 1.5+ inches. Flavor-- a little spiciness, full but not complex. Was able to smoke it all the way down without any aftertaste, IMO this really enhanced the smoke for me. And the PVW15 paired very nicely, bringing that complexity to the table. Please let me know how you liked the Cain Daytona.

Cain Daytonas are quite good IMO.

I remember the excitement of getting my first humidor, and I don't mean to take the wind out of your sails, but forget it.

You are already getting a taste of the hassle with topics like seasoning, salt testing, humidity control, etc.

Get yourself a Tupperware container of whatever size you like. A small 2-3 qt is perfect. At one time I had a 60 qt ice chest ice chest full of boxes.

Go here at get some humidity beads - http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/p...Humidity+Beads

65% or 70% hotly debated, but many prefer 65%

ALWAYS use distiller water. A gallon is a couple bucks and will last ages.

Put a digital hygro in there if you feel compelled. It's not really needed as the beads will keep things steady. But I understand wanting one. Just make sure it's digital.

As for cigars, try - Pepin Garcia black label, Illusione, Tatuaje, Alec Bradley

Virtuoso

Both the Cain Daytona and the Brick House were good, IMHO. I couldn't finish the Daytona but what I did smoke of it was great. The Brick House for $4.90 was excellent.

I've read that humidors can be a pain. But I look forward to setting mine up. Even if seasoning it takes a few days.

Just make sure to use distilled water.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by univibe88 View Post
    Just make sure to use distilled water.
    Oh definitely! I know the drill.

Virtuoso

In other news I started a journal out of a regular old composition notebook. On each page I tape the band from the cigar onto the paper then write a few notes on the smoke, the date and the price of the cigar. About two cigars per page. I had been saving the cigar bands and wanted to do something with them. I thought that this might be useful in the future.