Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: The SB Blend.... Best ratio of OWA & Weller 12???

Quote Originally Posted by dridge11 View Post
    Today, Tico and I compared his 60-CnB OWA / 40-W12 to my 50-OWA / 50-W12 and the results were staggering.

They are different, but both delicious. Then I poured them together and that was also different and delicious.

I think which blend you prefer is like trying to decide which Victoria's Secret Model to sleep with. Several options, you may prefer one, but there are no bad choices.
    Amen to that!!!!

Connoisseur

In regards to waiting the two weeks for the blend to take shape isn't about air time (unless you are exposing it to air) It's about excited flavor particles. It's akin to adding a splash of water to scotch. The esters and flavor particles separate and then settle back down into new bonds. When the two whiskeys meet, it's the same.

As far as ratio goes on Weller vs OWA it's smooth-wood vs hot-sweet. Figure your ratio from there
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

Guru

I just made my first SB 50/50 blend on Wednesday. Trying to hold out for at least a week before I sample it.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    I just made my first SB 50/50 blend on Wednesday. Trying to hold out for at least a week before I sample it.
    Sample it now and then after it has had some air.

Guru

I think I can probably manage that tonight.

Advanced Taster

Need to find some Weller 12 in the Mid-Atlantic to try this. Only a little left in the open bottle

Guru

Enjoying it right now and it's quite delicious, after just a few days. Really beats the pants off of either bourbon individually IMO. Seems so simple, and it is I guess, marrying the two and bringing the best of both of their worlds together. Will be interested to see what changes a week or two brings.

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Enjoying it right now and it's quite delicious, after just a few days. Really beats the pants off of either bourbon individually IMO. Seems so simple, and it is I guess, marrying the two and bringing the best of both of their worlds together. Will be interested to see what changes a week or two brings.
    I enjoyed some for the first time last night, also after just a few days. As I indicated in the What Are You Drinking thread, there wasn't much of a nose initially, but after periodically shaking the bottle in attempts to better meld the blend, the nose became much more expressive.

Guru

I'm preparing to do a small comparative test with just a few ounces in some empty half-pints. Going to try 50/50 mix (1.5 ounces of each), and a 60(OWA)/40(W12) mix (1.5 ounces of OWA and 1 ounce of W12). The hardest thing will be waiting until next weekend to taste them! This is the first Weller 12 I've come across (and I didn't even taste it yet!), so next weekend I look forward to facing not only these two blends off - but throwing in the OWA and W12 straight. If nothing else, it'll be a fun hour next Sunday!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

I found that I definitely preferred the 60/40 ratio with 60 OWA/40 W12 over the 50/50 split. I was a bit surprised by the difference! When compared to the OWA and W12, I did think that the 60/40 captured that synergy of being greater than the sum of its parts. I like both the OWA and W12 by themselves (although I like the analogy dridge11 made between two Victoria Secret's models - different, but one isn't necessarily "better" than the other), but I definitely enjoyed the 60/40 better than either by itself.

What surprised me is that the 60/40 seemed to have less bite than the 50/50, despite having more of the OWA (which has more bite than W12 on its own). I found that to be counter-intuitive - but agreed not to argue with my tastebuds
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins