Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheat and Rye.

Wheat and Rye.

Being new to Bourbon, could some of you guy's tell me the difference in taste between wheat and rye Bourbon?

Thanks,
    JR1968

Virtuoso

Re: Wheat and Rye.

In a nutshell wheaters tend to be softer and sweeter while ryes are a little spicier. That's in my experience. Others here can definitely elaborate (or correct me!).

Guru

I would add that wheaters seem (in general) to handle additionanal age better then rye bourbons.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

And the reason the wheaters are sweeter is not because of the taste of the wheat, it is because the wheat is mild and allows the sweetness of the corn to come thru.
    ovh

Disciple

The posts above pretty much tell the story. Rye to me has a peppery flavor, whereas the wheat can be considered smooth or boring, depending on point of view. There is a taste to the wheat content (unlike rice), but it is very light and allows the remaining mashbill to be easily noticed. Even a small amount of rye can overpower the corn.

At 3-4 years old, rye produces a flavor that I dare say a majority of drinkers prefer. I like ryes in general more than wheaters, but the exception is in the top of the line comparisons. After 12+ years, wheaters have a very good flavor whereas ryes tend to have already plateaued. \

While there is undoubtedly a lot of personal taste in my paragraphs above, I don't think any of this is outside the mainstream of most tasters here. If you're new, try a few of each and drink what you like. Don't let anyone tell you that "real" whiskey contains a lot or a little of either complementary ingreedient.

Apprentice

If you want to do Rye and Wheat comparison you could start with Old Grand Dad and Maker's side by side. Personally, I don't like Maker's. There's a certain...astringency to it that turns me off. I myself prefer higher rye bourbons, but Old Weller Antique is a fine wheater, perhaps made more interesting because of the higher proof. Most of your more common bourbons are going to be rye based.

Taster

You could also try something like Rittenhouse Rye versus Bernheim Wheat Whiskey.

Scott

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by LongBeachScott View Post
    You could also try something like Rittenhouse Rye versus Bernheim Wheat Whiskey.

Scott
    Neither of these are bourbons, which are 51% Corn by definition, but these are very good whiskies to start parsing out the differences in flavor. Not sure what the percentage of the mash bill is rye in Rittenhouse, but I think Bulleit Rye is 90+% rye.

Bernheim is around 51% wheat, from what I've read, but there are a lot of the flavors that people associate with wheaters in it. Old Weller Antique, though is also another good wheater option and usually cheaper too.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by soonami View Post
    Neither of these are bourbons, which are 51% Corn by definition, but these are very good whiskies to start parsing out the differences in flavor. Not sure what the percentage of the mash bill is rye in Rittenhouse, but I think Bulleit Rye is 90+% rye.

Bernheim is around 51% wheat, from what I've read, but there are a lot of the flavors that people associate with wheaters in it. Old Weller Antique, though is also another good wheater option and usually cheaper too.
    IMHO, Bernheim Wheat Whiskey tastes nothing like a Wheater, as I don't get much of the sweet, fat corn flavor that Oscar referenced. I would assume it's because there's too much wheat, and not enough corn involved.

Quote Originally Posted by soonami View Post

I don't think Bernheim taste anything like a wheated bourbon. That's why I always suggest that people who like wheaters buy a Bernheim so they understand the difference I.E. It's not the wheat they are tasting in a wheater bourbon it's the corn.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.