Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Advanced Taster

What to do with empty bottles?

I recently polished off an OWA and ER10, which aren't particularly special bottles for display. Question is, does anyone have good uses for empty bottles. Most go into the recycling bin but if I finish something special, I'd like to do something cool with it

Guru

Re: What to do with empty bottles?

Curious as well.

Only bottle I've saved is the Willet Pot Still. Middling bourbon but tis a sexy bottle. No idea what to do with it though, if anything.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Curious as well.

Only bottle I've saved is the Willet Pot Still. Middling bourbon but tis a sexy bottle. No idea what to do with it though, if anything.
    I've heard it is particularly well suited to be a bon...ahem..."water pipe".

I pretty much do the same things as most of y'all do. I keep my empty ETL and Weller Centennial bottles for decanting handles, smaller vattings, etc... I wholeheartedly agree that they do take up less shelf space. (and they fit in shipping boxes better too ) I also keep a couple of empty Weller 12, OWA or Weller SR bottles in case I open a bottle and a cork breaks. I also keep at least one empty Weller SR handle on hand in case I want to do a vatting of two full 750's. Re: SB or Weller blend, or Joe's Reserve. Joe's Reserve is my 1:1 vatting of WTRB and WTRR 10/90.

Once in a while my wife will get flowers to put on the server in our dining room. She liked one of my bottles, and when it was empty, she used it as a flower vase. I believe it was either a FR Mariage or Angel's Envy bottle. I can't remember which one it was. I haven't seen it in a while, so it may have ended up in the recycle bin.

One novel idea that another member here (ACDetroit IIRC) once talked about, was having a glass cutter cut down empty BTAC bottles, and make them into rocks glasses.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

Windchime - knock the bottom off using the burning string/bucket of water method, put a wooden bead on a string, and hang it appropriately. Different sizes will make different tones.

I like to keep at most 1 empty around for decanting. Most of the empties I have go into a retaining wall (for outdoor display) mixed with concrete, mortar, and chicken wire.

We use empty beer bottles to make raised beds for the garden, and I have an outdoor oven project I'd like to do one day using the bottles and mortar for a base. Makes some really nice, unusual accents around the grassy spots.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    ... I also keep a couple of empty Weller 12, OWA or Weller SR bottles in case I open a bottle and a cork breaks...
    That's actually a really good use I hadn't thought about
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    One novel idea that another member here (ACDetroit IIRC) once talked about, was having a glass cutter cut down empty BTAC bottles, and make them into rocks glasses.
    I've tried doing this with beer bottles before, but it's a lot of work, requiring an expensive glass cutter and a grinding wheel for sanding down the edges.

Connoisseur

This empty bottle of VWFRR lives on as olive oil for cooking and topping

83505d91.jpg

Advanced Taster

My wife made a Tiki Torch out of my Blanton's. I'm impressed. Will mount on the fence post.

image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm not an expert but I have lots of opinions!

Enthusiast

That's cool. Did she use a replacement wick and just drill a hole in the cap/cork?
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by TheNovaMan View Post
    That's cool. Did she use a replacement wick and just drill a hole in the cap/cork?
    Yep. Bought the wicks from Lowes and drilled a 1/4" hole to run it through. Started small on the hole and worked up to keep from destroying the horse and the cork. Cork holds it it so it needs to survive the drilling. Thanks I'll let her know she did good!
    I'm not an expert but I have lots of opinions!