Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    I would think a Willett bottle would work nicely for this type of project.

Attachment 13859
    Definately! A nice, little antiqueish shade on top of that would look great as a desk lamp or on an end table.

Connoisseur

Re: What to do with empty bottles?

I keep my empty bottles around for vatting experiments or to age cocktails in.
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

Enthusiast

I save my cooler bottles to refill with homemade Egg Nog and Hot Buttered Rum to then give out as gifts at Christmas and New Years
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Virtuoso

I've saved some of the more special empty bottles like PVW, WLW, etc. Not sure what I'm going to do with them eventually but I may do the lamp thing with the WLW bottle as I think it is the nicest.

Connoisseur

Make a booze shrine chandelier.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

I save OWA and ETL bottles. OWA works great for proofing down cask strength whiskey. I usually pour dusty handles into ETL bottles. The ETL bottles don't take up as much space on the whiskey shelf.

Guru

I've got dozens of empties tucked away and will eventually display them on shelves around the basement bar. As we all know, labels and bottle shapes change with regularity (OWA, ORVW, Weller 12, WT101, etc., not to mention real dusties) so it's nice to have the "older" bottles around to decorate the place.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Disciple

I slide my empties along the string of my diddley bow.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Halifax View Post
    I save OWA and ETL bottles. OWA works great for proofing down cask strength whiskey. I usually pour dusty handles into ETL bottles. The ETL bottles don't take up as much space on the whiskey shelf.
    These are both good suggestions. I've passed on some dusty handles because I didn't know if I wanted to commit that much space at the bar to them, but refilling a tall (ER10) or square (ETL) bottle would be a great space effective way to keep them at the bar

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I've got dozens of empties tucked away and will eventually display them on shelves around the basement bar. As we all know, labels and bottle shapes change with regularity (OWA, ORVW, Weller 12, WT101, etc., not to mention real dusties) so it's nice to have the "older" bottles around to decorate the place.
    Yeah I love the look of the older Weller bottles, but with a collection of empty beer bottles and homebrew bottles with labels I designed, I know that most eventually just get thrown out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmac View Post
    I keep my empty bottles around for vatting experiments or to age cocktails in.
    Another great idea. It would be great to serve a mint julep from a 1.75 handle with a built in pourer!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by DaveOfAtl View Post
    Just today, I filled an empty bottle with fresh cayenne peppers from the garden and hot apple cider vinegar to make pepper sauce for collards and such.
    Too funny... I just used a bottle of OGD BIB to house a homemade hot sauce myself, about 3 days ago. It was an emergency, as the wife began to make her awesome chili, and we realized we had not hot sauce to put in it.

How do you like the taste of the Cayenne peppers (in the sauce)? Does it resemble Frank's Red Hot in any way? The dried peppers we had on hand weren't cayenne, and I wasn't in love with the flavor, but it worked well enough in the chili.