Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What Beer Are You Drinking - Summer 2012

Bought a 6 pack of Czechvar. I stopped buying it and Pilsner Urquell a few years ago because too often the beer tasted funky. But hot weather had me craving a clean, no-nonsense beer and my recent experiment with a domestic pilsner (Oskar Blues Little Yella Pils) didn't end well. Happily the Czechvar tastes great. It is a little less bitter than I remember, although I think it was always sweeter than Pilsner Urquell. Taste memory is a tricky thing.

Virtuoso

Sierra Nevada Torpedo for me tonight!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MrAtomic View Post
    Bought a 6 pack of Czechvar. I stopped buying it and Pilsner Urquell a few years ago because too often the beer tasted funky. But hot weather had me craving a clean, no-nonsense beer and my recent experiment with a domestic pilsner (Oskar Blues Little Yella Pils) didn't end well. Happily the Czechvar tastes great. It is a little less bitter than I remember, although I think it was always sweeter than Pilsner Urquell. Taste memory is a tricky thing.
    Czechvar is an outstanding Bohemian beer and one that I still enjoy a great deal after all these years. Pilsner Urquell, at least to my taste buds, isn't is good as it once was, perhaps due to shortcuts taken to keep up with the export market, so I actually prefer Czechvar these days over PU. If available in your area, you may wish to seek out Primator and Bakalar for other fine examples of quality Bohemian beer.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Czechvar is an outstanding Bohemian beer and one that I still enjoy a great deal after all these years. If available in your area, you may wish to seek out Primator and Bakalar for other fine examples of quality Bohemian beer.
    Unclebunk, thanks very much for the tip. I'll see if Primator or Bakalar are available nearby. I tried another domestic Pilsner today, Lagunitas Pils, and it's much to sweet for my taste. The Czechvar has a nice sharp, bitterness to it that makes it much more enjoyable to me.

Virtuoso
    Half Acre Brewery right here in Chicago collaborates with 3 Floyds a few times a year, and their latest batch is Shewolf, an IPA coming in around 8%. I was lucky enough to take the day off today and grab a handful of bombers of this intense IPA that is very much like the love child of Arctic Panzer Wolf and Zombie Dust. It has a beautiful grassy citrus profile of hops and just enough malt to flesh out the body and round out the finish.

Nothing like a well-hopped fresh-brewed IPA in my book, especially (and not to take anything away from my local Half Acre) from the boys at 3 Floyds.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345242025.219181.jpg
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MrAtomic View Post
    Unclebunk, thanks very much for the tip. I'll see if Primator or Bakalar are available nearby. I tried another domestic Pilsner today, Lagunitas Pils, and it's much to sweet for my taste. The Czechvar has a nice sharp, bitterness to it that makes it much more enjoyable to me.
    I'm afraid the Bakalar will be hard to find. Even with our huge Czech community here in Chicago, I rarely see it on the shelves. (I know of one or two outlets nearby that carry it but that's about it.) If you do track down Primator (an excellent pilsner that tastes quite a bit like Gambrinus which sadly is no longer exported to the US), be sure to get their standard pilsner and not the bock, which is okay but not really the one you're after. Staropramen from Prague is decent too but not as good as these others, IMO. Happy hunting!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Tonight, it's more like what beer I'm not drinking....and then pouring down the drain....Sam Adams "Thirteenth Hour". Hideous. Blech...Blech...BLECH!!!! Tasted like an over coffeed stout that is mixed 50:50 with stale Cold Duck...BLECH!!!!! Did I say, BLECH!!!!! Yuck...spit...spit...thwaeeaapppp...spit...

Now, I'll just go to a Two Hearted Ale to try and cleanse the funk.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso
    And Zombie Dust follows the Shewolf to perfect effect; less malty body more overload on grassy citrus. Mmmmmmm...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345250294.983447.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345250383.299587.jpg
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Enthusiast

Enjoyed two and a half snifters of Firestone-Walker Parabola Barrel-Aged Stout on tap last night -- outstanding beer for the cool evening. Also had yet another winner from Lagunitas, Fusion VIII, and a Little Sumpin' Sumpin' from them as well. Can't wait for Lagunitas to set up their tasting room on the near south side later this year, and the brewery next year.
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Disciple

3F Zombie Dust on tap from a freshly tapped keg and North Coast Old Stock Ale 2011 also from the tap.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011