Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What Beer Are You Drinking - Summer 2012

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Now you're talking, man. That sounds like a fine shandy for a hot summer day. Think I'll grab the stuff to make my own this weekend.
    Back into the 90s tomorrow -- sounds like a smart plan.

I may have to dig into my new, very precious stash of Heady Topper....
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Disciple

A local establishment with a nice selection has a new one on tap, Duhbe Imperial Black IPA from Uinta Brewing out of Utah. It does not show its 9.2% ABV but there is no doubt about its 109 IBU. An excellent and complex beer showcasing the American Black Ale style of both hoppy and malt roasty. It was served just a bit too cold and of course improved as it warmed up from its initial pour.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Guru

I bought a case of Budweiser for my birthday yesterday, iced it in a cooler on the deck, and my son and I drank it while we were putting together my Big Green Egg.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur

A few pints of Pliny The Elder on tap. $3 pints during happy hour too!

Enthusiast

just picked up 2 cases of Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend [Quadruple], 750 mL corked, for my daughter's wedding in October ... I have 47 bottles left.
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd

Connoisseur

Stillwater Of Love and Regret Saison, a Tyranena Hop Whore, and some homebrews.

Enthusiast

As is usually the case, I've been all over with the beers lately. Tonight's choice was a clunker, a bomber of Take Two by Two Brothers. It's #5 in the brewery's "15 for 15 series," and while it's a vaguely interesting concept -- take two types of water, barley, hops and yeasts and brew it up -- it has yielded one decidedly bland lager-ish result. Still, it'll be interesting to try all 15 beers in this series over a week or two period at the end of the year, assuming I manage to squirrel away an extra bottle each of the final eight releases.

Cracked open a bomber of Founder's Frangelic Mountain Brown Ale last night, which is a strong brown ale brewed with hazelnut-flavored coffee. The hazelnut flavor stood out more than the coffee, and while it was interesting to drink a beer reminiscent of Toffifay candy, I sorta regret that I still have another one of these as they're overpriced at 13 bucks.

Best thing I've had this week was a Smuttynose Ry(e)an Ale, a rye beer aged in rye barrels. Similar to Boulevard's Rye on Rye, though with a somewhat stronger whiskey component. Many thanks to Whiskey Wonka for giving me this rare beer, brewed exclusively for Julio's Loch & Key Society. Chased it with a Tyranena Dirty Old Man Imperial Rye Porter and a Central Waters Brewers Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout, which led me to the sleep of the angels.

Think I'll indulge in some more summer-appropriate beers this weekend. Cheers!
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by stevegoz View Post
    As is usually the case, I've been all over with the beers lately. Tonight's choice was a clunker, a bomber of Take Two by Two Brothers. It's #5 in the brewery's "15 for 15 series," and while it's a vaguely interesting concept -- take two types of water, barley, hops and yeasts and brew it up -- it has yielded one decidedly bland lager-ish result. Still, it'll be interesting to try all 15 beers in this series over a week or two period at the end of the year, assuming I manage to squirrel away an extra bottle each of the final eight releases.

Cracked open a bomber of Founder's Frangelic Mountain Brown Ale last night, which is a strong brown ale brewed with hazelnut-flavored coffee. The hazelnut flavor stood out more than the coffee, and while it was interesting to drink a beer reminiscent of Toffifay candy, I sorta regret that I still have another one of these as they're overpriced at 13 bucks.

Best thing I've had this week was a Smuttynose Ry(e)an Ale, a rye beer aged in rye barrels. Similar to Boulevard's Rye on Rye, though with a somewhat stronger whiskey component. Many thanks to Whiskey Wonka for giving me this rare beer, brewed exclusively for Julio's Loch & Key Society. Chased it with a Tyranena Dirty Old Man Imperial Rye Porter and a Central Waters Brewers Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout, which led me to the sleep of the angels.

Think I'll indulge in some more summer-appropriate beers this weekend. Cheers!
    Tyranena and Central Waters are doing some nice stuff these days, though I haven't checked out the ones you mentioned. Their IPA's were quite good and I look forward to sampling more of their brews.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    A local establishment with a nice selection has a new one on tap, Duhbe Imperial Black IPA from Uinta Brewing out of Utah. It does not show its 9.2% ABV but there is no doubt about its 109 IBU. An excellent and complex beer showcasing the American Black Ale style of both hoppy and malt roasty. It was served just a bit too cold and of course improved as it warmed up from its initial pour.
    That sounds great. Where did you find it, Thad?
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bllygthrd View Post
    just picked up 2 cases of Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend [Quadruple], 750 mL corked, for my daughter's wedding in October ... I have 47 bottles left.
    Great score! Congrats on the wedding. Sounds like you guys will be drinking in style.