I wonder why, then, on the "5 year" link on the Widow Jane/Cacao Prieta website, they also say this:

"Cacao Prieto Distillery is proud to announce the very limited release of an extraordinary 5 year Bourbon Whiskey. Only 1,500 bottles have been produced of the Widow Jane unfiltered 5 year old Kentucky Bourbon, and each bottle is hand labeled and hand numbered, creating a unique package."

Is this the same 5-year-old bourbon that had the production run of "only 823 bottles"? Wonder which it is...

I'm sure they're good people, and I love rum and chocolate, but I think the website might need a little work.

I think people are reacting to the gimmick of a little-known craft distiller (of non-whiskey spirits) buying bourbon from a Kentucky distiller and filling it into a bottle with an unusual label and name, and basing their marketing on the limestone-mine-sourced water used to cut the product. Small producers with "gimmick" marketing can turn $15/btl whiskey into $55/btl in the blink of an eye... and the Kentucky producers probably aren't selling their best whiskey to the wholesale market...

Of course, one of our favorite bottlers of rye whiskey around here is High West, who "sources" all kinds of ryes and bourbons from elsewhere, and bottles these whiskies (and mixtures of whiskies) in some pretty bottles with eye-catching labels, and sells some of them at eye-popping prices. People here buy the products, sing their praises, and recommend them to others. Strange, huh?