Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: Widow Jane Kentucky Bourbon

And while you're at it, ask Preston what's in the 23yr.

Enthusiast

I know what you mean but I'm all for giving people an opportunity to speak for themselves.

In response to my email :

Thanks Stephen,
    Well it's nice to know it's getting out there!
    My name is Alex clark, I am the sales director for Cacao Prieto, keepers of the Widow Jane whiskey.
    I clearly need to chime in... I have just registered so will be able to soon.
    Thanks for bringing it to my attention, a bottle of whatever you want awaits you in Red Hook whenever you can make it.
    Watch the thread as I attempt to dampen the flames.....
    Cheers,
    Alex
    I guess we'll see.
    Last edited by RVTsteve; 11-15-2012 at 18:33.

Connoisseur

As an aside, check out the website for Black Dirt distillery (all three pages of it), who are selling Black Dirt Bourbon (???), $35/750ml at www.drinkupny.com

It's not the somewhat unfortunate brand name that gets me, and the price is cheap enough, and they even claim that it's actually distilled in NY state....

Take a look at http://www.blackdirtdistillery.com, all three pages of it once you get past the claim-your-age page. Try to make sense of the one page that isn't mostly Lorem Ipsum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/Lorem_ipsum

Finish (and please proofread) your freakin' website!!
    Last edited by Kalessin; 11-15-2012 at 18:54.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Maui, I think Kalessin is referring to the fact that they are promoting the "cutting to proof" with the special water, as being backwards to enthusiasts like us. As enthusiasts, I think, we would be more concerned with how the barrel strength whiskey is before cutting. If this is in fact what K was referring to, I am thinking along those lines as well. If not, I am alone on my island, yet again!
    This is exactly what I meant! SB.com means you'll never be truly alone...

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I hope they do come here, confess their sins, and promise to sin no more.

Also, the question was asked, have I "even tried it?"

I no doubt have, dozens of times, under one of its many names
    Last edited by cowdery; 11-15-2012 at 23:48. Reason: to get even snarkier.

Virtuoso

Poking around and looking for a first place to post, this seemed as good as any. Over the summer I purchased a bottle of the Widow Jane 5 Year (Label stated Batch #1 - Bottle #200/823 Bottled 6/12/12) from Astorwines.com. Recently opened it with my brother in law who is a real beer connoisseur who also enjoys a dram of whiskey from time to time. We both thought it was rather delightful. I didn't make detailed notes (and left the bottle for him to enjoy), but recall it being bright and crisp, with a smooth finish. Very easy drinking. I think they've recently raised the price on Astor from $35 to $60, and would not recommend it at the new price, but for $35 it was acceptable.

For what it's worth, this is my very first post. As a new subscriber to the Bourbon Country Reader (just got my second edition this week), I hope Mr. Cowdery won't question my motives too severely :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Poking around and looking for a first place to post, this seemed as good as any. Over the summer I purchased a bottle of the Widow Jane 5 Year (Label stated Batch #1 - Bottle #200/823 Bottled 6/12/12) from Astorwines.com. Recently opened it with my brother in law who is a real beer connoisseur who also enjoys a dram of whiskey from time to time. We both thought it was rather delightful. I didn't make detailed notes (and left the bottle for him to enjoy), but recall it being bright and crisp, with a smooth finish. Very easy drinking. I think they've recently raised the price on Astor from $35 to $60, and would not recommend it at the new price, but for $35 it was acceptable.

For what it's worth, this is my very first post. As a new subscriber to the Bourbon Country Reader (just got my second edition this week), I hope Mr. Cowdery won't question my motives too severely :-)
    Go post an introductory post in new to straightbourbon
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Novice

Hi,
    my name is Alex Clark, I am the sales director for Cacao Prieto distillery in Red Hook Brooklyn
    I was alerted to this post by Steve. Thank you Steve!
    we started the company 2 years ago. The plan was to make beans to bar chocolate, and rum.
    that is exactly what we have done.
    we also are distilling whiskeys made with organic non GMO grains and water from the Widow Jane mine in upstate New York.
    We have been racking whiskey since we have been legal to do so and are waiting for maturation.
    To build the Widow Jane brand we have been sourcing some juice from Kentucky.
    the first 1500 bottles we released were a 5 year small batch offering from BT.
    they were hand sold by me throughout manhattan and Brooklyn.
    the second release is a 7 year single barrel offering.
    our labels clearly state Kentucky Bourbon on the front and bottled by (not distilled by) Cacao Prieto distillery on the back.
    each bottle is hand numbered and hand labelled.
    we use water from the widow Jane mine to cut from cask strength to 91 proof.
    we do not chill filter.
    I understand that purists may find this approach galling....but we do carefully consider what juice goes in the bottle.

I realize that our website has been poorly edited, I will attempt to clean it up.
    it was not a deliberate attempt to mislead, it was thrown up hurriedly and I have been pounding the pavement since.
    as for other peoples websites, what they say and do is up to them, our sell sheets are very clear and straightforward.

Our eventual goal is to be self sufficient, but you gotta get there somehow....if anyone has a better plan I am all ears!

I genuinely hope you all get to try our incredible in house offerings as well as the others at some point.
    If you are ever in Red Hook, please stop by to say hi and check out the facility.
    cheers,
    Alex
    347 225 0130

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Alexinnyc View Post
    Hi,
    my name is Alex Clark, I am the sales director for Cacao Prieto distillery in Red Hook Brooklyn
    I was alerted to this post by Steve. Thank you Steve!
    we started the company 2 years ago. The plan was to make beans to bar chocolate, and rum.
    that is exactly what we have done.
    we also are distilling whiskeys made with organic non GMO grains and water from the Widow Jane mine in upstate New York.
    We have been racking whiskey since we have been legal to do so and are waiting for maturation.
    To build the Widow Jane brand we have been sourcing some juice from Kentucky.
    the first 1500 bottles we released were a 5 year small batch offering from BT.
    they were hand sold by me throughout manhattan and Brooklyn.
    the second release is a 7 year single barrel offering.
    our labels clearly state Kentucky Bourbon on the front and bottled by (not distilled by) Cacao Prieto distillery on the back.
    each bottle is hand numbered and hand labelled.
    we use water from the widow Jane mine to cut from cask strength to 91 proof.
    we do not chill filter.
    I understand that purists may find this approach galling....but we do carefully consider what juice goes in the bottle.

I realize that our website has been poorly edited, I will attempt to clean it up.
    it was not a deliberate attempt to mislead, it was thrown up hurriedly and I have been pounding the pavement since.
    as for other peoples websites, what they say and do is up to them, our sell sheets are very clear and straightforward.

Our eventual goal is to be self sufficient, but you gotta get there somehow....if anyone has a better plan I am all ears!

I genuinely hope you all get to try our incredible in house offerings as well as the others at some point.
    If you are ever in Red Hook, please stop by to say hi and check out the facility.
    cheers,
    Alex
    347 225 0130
    Thanks so much for the information about your products and good luck with your venture.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Disciple
    Can't argue too much with 91 proof, lots of whiskey gets cut to a lower proof than that. I like the choice of 91 over the more common 90. Also glad to hear you're not chill filtering. Doubtful that any of this bottling will make its way out to me but I hope to get to try some of your Brooklyn-distilled product when it is ready.
    Jim