Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Widow Jane Kentucky Bourbon

Originally Posted by Happyhour24x7And here I am, wondering when we started requiring, as opposed to just recommending, an introductory post in "new"?

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    Gotta back Paul up on this. He is just recommending here... He's always welcoming new members over in the New to SB forum and has been nothing but friendly to me since I joined the forum not long ago.
    Yeah, there's no demanding or requiring going on there, only a friendly suggestion to get over there and introduce themself to the forum.
    Last edited by RVTsteve; 11-17-2012 at 09:22.

Trippah and Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Happyhour24x7 View Post
    And here I am, wondering when we started requiring, as opposed to just recommending, an introductory post in "new"?
    "We" don't require an introductory post in that forum, but when a new poster wonders out loud where to make a first post, it is certainly an appropriate suggestion for a moderator to make.
    Last edited by callmeox; 11-17-2012 at 09:36. Reason: big thumbs/small keyboard
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Connoisseur

Thank you Alex and welcome to the board.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Hell, 'blowhard' is one one the nicer things I've been called. No loss of lung function here.

As for Widow Jane, this is the typical crap we see all the time. We saw it from High West too until they wised up. Somebody comes out of nowhere with a fully-aged bourbon and, playing on the general ignorance of the public, does everything they can short of outright lying to make people think it's something it's not. Even to the point of saying the whiskey is 'made' with water from this mine (and, I might add, mines are not generally touted for their water quality) when, of course, it is only diluted to proof with that water, whereas the average person thinks 'made' means 'distilled.' It's funny that they actually say it's distilled by them in Brooklyn when their label clearly says 'Kentucky.' Could it actually be a subtle parody?

The photography, by the way, is very nice -- but here are the pretty pictures of the still on which the whiskey was not made, and the pretty pictures of the barrels that may or may not have anything to do with the current product (since bulk whiskey is usually delivered in plastic or stainless steel containers), all labeled with the name of the distillery that didn't make it.

It's just sad when the best defense people can come up with is general incompetence. It's not incompetence, it's a ham-handed effort to deceive, and that's what sticks in my craw and make me, yes, crotchety. I understand that it's awkward to promote yourself as a distiller and simultaneously promote a product you just bought and bottled, but I can't endorse deception as the solution.

Conjecture that a new poster praising an obscure product is a shill is pretty understandable, especially since it happens here all the time. Perfectly innocent non-shills who find themselves so accused usually laugh it off, retroactively make the introductions (there's a whole section for that) and become part of the community. Shills who have been found out typically get their backs up, then disappear.

We've had so many of these overpriced, nothing special non-distiller producer bottlings that we're bored with them. I won't shut up about it. I also refuse to kiss the ass of every ill-mannered newbie who shows up here and I refuse to apologize for it.
    indeed i did laugh off your crotchety spiel. no need to kiss my ass or apologize. never asked nor expected, and i am certainly not going to kiss yours nor beg your indulgence.

ill-mannered?? chuckle, i will laugh that off too, you old coot.
    Last edited by mopgcw; 11-17-2012 at 11:15.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Poking around and looking for a first place to post, this seemed as good as any. Over the summer I purchased a bottle of the Widow Jane 5 Year (Label stated Batch #1 - Bottle #200/823 Bottled 6/12/12) from Astorwines.com. Recently opened it with my brother in law who is a real beer connoisseur who also enjoys a dram of whiskey from time to time. We both thought it was rather delightful. I didn't make detailed notes (and left the bottle for him to enjoy), but recall it being bright and crisp, with a smooth finish. Very easy drinking. I think they've recently raised the price on Astor from $35 to $60, and would not recommend it at the new price, but for $35 it was acceptable.

For what it's worth, this is my very first post. As a new subscriber to the Bourbon Country Reader (just got my second edition this week), I hope Mr. Cowdery won't question my motives too severely :-)
    Yeti,

the 7-year is a hoot. not sure what a bottle retails for, but $60 for a five year is steep indeed. not sure that would be a good trade in my book.

take care
    George

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mopgcw View Post
    indeed i did laugh off your crotchety spiel. no need to kiss my ass or apologize. never asked nor expected, and i am certainly not going to kiss yours nor beg your indulgence.

ill-mannered?? chuckle, i will laugh that off too, you old coot.
    My ample ass could use a pillow, but doesn't need a kiss.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    My ample ass could use a pillow, but doesn't need a kiss.
    good to hear. seems like we have something in common in addition to chicago. have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Happyhour24x7 View Post
    And here I am, wondering when we started requiring, as opposed to just recommending, an introductory post in "new"?
    This is my fault I should have worded this better I just meant this as a suggestion. My apologies if anyone took offense.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by mopgcw View Post
    Yeti,

the 7-year is a hoot. not sure what a bottle retails for, but $60 for a five year is steep indeed. not sure that would be a good trade in my book.

take care
    George
    Hi,
    apparently there is still some confusion.
    the 5 year was a small batch offering, 1500 bottles total. Other than a couple of cases which we are holding on to, it is no longer available.
    the 7 year single barrel offering is what Astor has now at around $60 per bottle.
    We kept the label the same, except for the age statement, because our customers felt that it was very effective.
    We actually got label approval for a new one, with a picture of Widow jane herself on it.....after listening to feedback we decided to stick with what we had.
    The 7 year is also in different glass, we felt that the distinction would be clear given the differently shaped bottle and age statement....
    cheers,
    Alex

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    This is my fault I should have worded this better I just meant this as a suggestion. My apologies if anyone took offense.
    Never offended, and of course I support the intent. But if you put on the viewpoint of a newbie to the site, it comes across as a pretty stern demand. Point made, no apologies required, everyone please move along.