Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Re: Widow Jane Kentucky Bourbon

Alex,

I searched on TTB COLA website and I see your label approval for Widow Jane Bourbon, which says 5 years old and 100 proof. This does not match the information you posted, which was 91 proof. I also could not find a label approval for the 7 year old. I'm searching using DSP-NY-15044. Do you have another DSP besides that one?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Alexinnyc View Post
    I realize that our website has been poorly edited, I will attempt to clean it up.
    it was not a deliberate attempt to mislead, it was thrown up hurriedly and I have been pounding the pavement since.
    as for other peoples websites, what they say and do is up to them, our sell sheets are very clear and straightforward.
    Hello, Alex... and thanks for posting here!

My website criticism wasn't meant to be harsh, but please understand that the Cacao Prieta website and TTB COLA information are nearly the only sources for information about your bourbon for those of us not in the NYC area.

This forum is filled with people who, even though they love great whiskey, might be a bit cynical about the spirits industry and its product, labeling and marketing practices (and I mean both smaller craft and major producers). For my part, I didn't find the website or label deceiving at all, and I don't feel I have a need to know the source distiller of the Kentucky bourbon as long as the liquid in the bottle tastes good and represents a good value to me.

I brought up Black Dirt Distilling's site only as a funny aside; their message to us out on the internet is literally incomprehensible, even though their product is out in some NYC stores. But consider that your company's website is probably the most important source of information to customers who you don't meet personally.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    Alex,

I searched on TTB COLA website and I see your label approval for Widow Jane Bourbon, which says 5 years old and 100 proof. This does not match the information you posted, which was 91 proof. I also could not find a label approval for the 7 year old. I'm searching using DSP-NY-15044. Do you have another DSP besides that one?
    On the TTB website, there's a list of allowable changes to a label without seeking a new label approval, at http://www.ttb.gov/labeling/allowable_revisions.shtml

Scroll down a bit for the list. Line 11 allows for changing the mandatory statement of alcohol content as long as it doesn't change or violate the type designation. Line 14 allows for changing the mandatory age statement, or deleting or changing an optional age statement for distilled spirits labels, as long as it doesn't change or violate the type designation.

I'm not an expert in TTB/COLA issues, and shouldn't be regarded as such, but I think the changes would be within the rules.
    Last edited by Kalessin; 11-16-2012 at 12:09.

Novice

Spot on Kalessin...

Connoisseur

[Quote: Take a look at http://www.blackdirtdistillery.com, all three pages of it once you get past the claim-your-age page. Try to make sense of the one page that isn't mostly Lorem Ipsum.]

Back in the olden days when I was in the business, we called Lorem Ipsum "Greek." It was not Latin. In fact, it wasn't any language at all. It was totally meaningless random letters that were inserted by the graphic designer for the sole purpose of holding space. I had numerous "encounters" with graphic designers who didn't care what the copy (i.e. the words) said as long as they looked good on the page. In spite of the fact that I made my living in advertising, I still resent copy writers who don't care what they say as long as it looks good.
    Last edited by Flyfish; 11-16-2012 at 14:08.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    [Quote: Take a look at http://www.blackdirtdistillery.com, all three pages of it once you get past the claim-your-age page. Try to make sense of the one page that isn't mostly Lorem Ipsum.]

Back in the olden days when I was in the business, we called Lorem Ipsum "Greek." It was not Latin. In fact, it wasn't any language at all. It was totally meaningless random letters that were inserted by the graphic designer for the sole purpose of holding space. I had numerous "encounters" with graphic designers who didn't care what the copy (i.e. the words) said as long as they looked good on the page. In spite of the fact that I made my living in advertising, I still resent copy writers who don't care what they say as long as it looks good.
    Don't you mean you resent the graphic designers? We copywriters always care what it says. (I'm with you and have experienced the same thing many times.)

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Thank you, Alex. Good response. Although it may not exactly seem that way, we're on your side.

There sure is a lot of BT out there from a company that claims it doesn't sell bulk whiskey. As I've said before, nobody sells bulk whiskey except when they do.

Connoisseur

I have reading this thread, every post of a 5 page thread ..and find it amazing so much space has been devoted to something we don't give a shit about
    I may be drunk, but in the morning, I'll be sober and you'll still be ugly...WC

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    Go post an introductory post in new to straightbourbon
    And here I am, wondering when we started requiring, as opposed to just recommending, an introductory post in "new"?

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by Happyhour24x7 View Post
    And here I am, wondering when we started requiring, as opposed to just recommending, an introductory post in "new"?
    Gotta back Paul up on this. He is just recommending here... He's always welcoming new members over in the New to SB forum and has been nothing but friendly to me since I joined the forum not long ago.
    Jim