Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Jefferson 18 vs 17 year

Is there a big difference between the two? I've passed on each the last couple days, but they still intrest me, mainly the s-w factor.

Advanced Taster

Re: Jefferson 18 vs 17 year

The general thought is that 18 is just 17 with an extra year on wood since the 18 came a year after the 17 and all subsequent batches are 18. They have different batch numbers, but people aren't sure if batch corresponds to any barrels and if the bourbon is just vatted in stainless tanks and then slowly released in bottles, a batch at a time so as to not flood the market. Also, the wording of the label is somewhat weird like, "age in SW barrels" or something like that so conspiracy theorists claim that make it's not SW distillate. Regardless, point is that there isn't a lot of info out there about these bourbons, and many find the quality to be variable.
    Last edited by soonami; 07-12-2012 at 12:46.

Disciple

The barrels being used are variable, as they always are, but it is DSP-KY-16 to the best of my knowledge, which includes asking Trey Zoeller point blank at Whiskey Fest 2011 Chicago. I like the 17yr, as it's about $25 less in my parts, when you can still find it, and I can.

I do like this Whiskey, and yeah, it is a piece of history, if you're into that type of thing.

Advanced Taster

I just wanted to clarify that batch and bottling quality varies, although all the bourbon is distilled at SW.

In South Jersey, I've seen 17yo for around $75, 18yo is around $85

Question, as desirable as SW juice is how did Jefferson get ahold of some? Was this bourbon deemed inferior by BT/VW and thus sold? Or was this stuff that was lost and then found later during one of the several mergers?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by soonami View Post
    Question, as desirable as SW juice is how did Jefferson get ahold of some? Was this bourbon deemed inferior by BT/VW and thus sold? Or was this stuff that was lost and then found later during one of the several mergers?
    There's a lot of discussion of the origins of this juice on the forum, look around and you'll find answers to your questions and more, much more.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Connoisseur

Honestly I have scoured the website and I did not find the answers to my JPS questions.

I too would really.like to know the differences. I am confused because some releases are cask strength, some have hand written statistics, and then there is the printed versions.

I mean, why bother with batch numbers and bottle numbers when we don't know the final amount?

The only fact is that was agreed upon was that it was SW distallate for sure.

Where is Chuck and Stu with their investigative prowess? If there is anyone who could shed some light it is they.
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmac View Post
    The only fact is that was agreed upon was that it was SW distallate for sure.
    Actually, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure we know for a fact it's SW "juice". The label states "Aged in Stitzel-Weller barrels."

So what exactly does that mean? Who knows.....

But I do know most batches are pretty damn tasty, and that's all I care about.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Virtuoso

My understanding is that the JPS is Bernheim wheated bourbon aged in S-W cooperage

Guru

I thought they claimed that it was indeed S-W juice. The wording does certainly gives one pause though. In the end no one really knows.

Advanced Taster

The old threads on this subject indicate that Bernheim was not yet distilling when this whiskey was put into barrels.