Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pappy Van Winkle 23 with gold wax?

Hello folks, this is my first post on here as I joined the site to ask this question, though I've been enjoying bourbon for years. I came across a bottle of Pappy 23 but instead of the standard dull gold plastic/foil type wrapper around the cap/cork, this bottle was dipped in dull gold wax and has a kind of string tab to open. The bottle number is written on the label in red with the letter 'A' and a few numbers after.

Does anyone have any info on this bottle? I've never seen a waxed Pappy bottle of any kind.

Disciple

Re: Pappy Van Winkle 23 with gold wax?

I'm in a good mood today so I'm going to assume you're not a flipper, and simply suggest that you do a search for the info you seek.

Not a flipper, just looking for more info on a bottle I bought. I did do a search for this information on this site and did a general web search with specific terms. Here's the straight bourbon search for "pappy" "gold" "wax" : http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...searchid=21479

Tell me if I should be doing something differently in the search. Extensive google searches have yielded nothing. Or better yet, if someone knows this info I'd appreciate it greatly. Just wanted to know the year of bottling, how many times they did the wax, that kind of thing.

In fact so far I've only seen one or two references to Pappy 23 with gold wax, neither having any real information.
    Last edited by wheatfield; 07-17-2012 at 19:20.

Enthusiast

There were 3 PVW 23's with gold wax. The first release from Lawrenceburg that was numbered only, the 2nd release from Frankfort which was also only numbered, and the 3rd release from 2005 that had the "A" numbering and was bottled in Frankfort. It should be the same whiskey as what is currently available, however the waxed top presentation is more attractive than the foil IMO.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by wheatfield View Post
    Extensive google searches have yielded nothing. Or better yet, if someone knows this info I'd appreciate it greatly. Just wanted to know the year of bottling, how many times they did the wax, that kind of thing.
    Not sure what to tell you, as my non-extensive search on the terms "pappy 23 gold wax" returns the following thread, which answers all of your questions and even includes an explanation from Julian Van Winkle as to why gold wax is no longer used.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...hp/t-9054.html

@ MrAtomic

Yep, I found that but it was just a single post in that thread that referenced the "A" bottling and that was four years ago so I wasn't sure if there was a more recent bottling. Sorry to post a question that was answered somewhere else on the internet at some point in history.
    Last edited by wheatfield; 07-17-2012 at 20:30.

@BradleyC

Thanks. Has anyone drank from the 2005 "A" bottle? I agree the presentation is very nice and the wax is high quality.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by wheatfield View Post
    @ MrAtomic

Yep, I found that but it was just a single post in that thread that referenced the "A" bottling and that was four years ago so I wasn't sure if there was a more recent bottling. Sorry to post a question that was answered somewhere else on the internet at some point in history.
    Wheatfield, I'm sorry that I seem to have offended you, but I was simply pointing out a thread that not only answers your questions, but includes a post from the person who selected the bourbon in question (he notes that the switch from wax to foil took place in fall 2007). Not only that, but it contains several posts that discuss the differences between earlier and later bottlings of PVW 23 (including the "A" bottling you purchased). What other information are you looking for that's not addressed in that thread?

Oh, and for what it's worth, I agree with the consensus in that earlier thread. The "A" bottling of PVW 23 was pretty oaky. Significantly more so than a PVW 20, going off my taste memory of that bottling, which I've not had in some time. If you like woody bourbons, I think you'll really enjoy the bottle you bought. When you open it, please share your thoughts with us.

Trippah and Admin

I never cease to be amazed at the number of folks who stumble upon rare bottles and cruise by here to ask questions.

Dumb luck, I suppose.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    I never cease to be amazed at the number of folks who stumble upon rare bottles and cruise by here to ask questions.

Dumb luck, I suppose.
    I could use some dumb luck actually. I have been on waiting lists for 3 years now and have never been offered a Pappy of any year. The one 15 I have I had to buy off FleaBay

That is unless some kind soul wants to impart with a 20. (hint hint)
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"