Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

High West Campfire

Looks like High West is coming out with a new blend of single malt scotch, bourbon, and rye called Campfire. I will be very interested in tasting this. If anyone is going to the High West Derby party in Park City, please post some notes!

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/lifesty...pfire.html.csp

Pulled the COLA, and it looks like the scotch used in Campfire is peated. Though the statement from the back label mentions that Perkins got the idea for the blend while at Bruichladdich, it doesn't state that the scotch is from there. In any event, this should be pretty unique.

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonlin...12073001000446
    Last edited by DaveOfAtl; 04-26-2012 at 13:17.

Virtuoso

Re: High West Campfire

I've had a sample taste of this at a event not long ago.

Right off the bat the scotch was ever present in the nose. That first sniff told me that this was not like any mix they had put out before.

While pleasant, as somebody who has not found the soft spot for scotch yet in my tastings, it just wasn't for my taste preference.

Other people in the room seemed to like it quite a bit.

The percent of scotch used in the mix was quite low, maybe like 5% if I recall, but man, it showed through.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Connoisseur

Did you pick up anything else to go with the scotch, like spice or fruit, or maybe some barrel influence?

Quote Originally Posted by BFerguson View Post
    I've had a sample taste of this at a event not long ago.

Right off the bat the scotch was ever present in the nose. That first sniff told me that this was not like any mix they had put out before.

While pleasant, as somebody who has not found the soft spot for scotch yet in my tastings, it just wasn't for my taste preference.

Other people in the room seemed to like it quite a bit.

The percent of scotch used in the mix was quite low, maybe like 5% if I recall, but man, it showed through.

B

Virtuoso

Sorry, memory is a bit foggy and the taste buds we getting to be shot by this time, it was towards the end of the night.

Plus, i just couldn't get past the overall "scotch-i-ness of it. its one of those flavors that blocks everything thing else most of the time.

I'm sure Mat will be weighing in on this soon enough also now that the secret is out.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Connoisseur

I am a fan of High West and am looking forward to trying this one. I love Islays and I love rye, the fact a smoky Scotch is used really piques my interest. Kudos once again to the HW crew for trying something totally new.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 04-26-2012 at 22:58.

Enthusiast

Campfire is indeed on the way!

The sample I brought to the MN tasting BF talks about was not the final blend...more a 'work in progress'. Heading home from CA where our distributor hosted trade tastings in three cities. I had a 'final' bottle of Campfire under the table...lots of thumbs up from those who've tasted it.

Can't wait to share this with y'all. It's unique and it's FUN.
    Mat Garretson
    HIGH WEST DISTILLERY

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by mrviognier View Post
    Campfire is indeed on the way!

The sample I brought to the MN tasting BF talks about was not the final blend...more a 'work in progress'. Heading home from CA where our distributor hosted trade tastings in three cities. I had a 'final' bottle of Campfire under the table...lots of thumbs up from those who've tasted it.

Can't wait to share this with y'all. It's unique and it's FUN.
    Would love if you made your way back down to Georgia with a sample for a fellow Dawg. Seriously, though, this is such a unique concept. When will it hit the shelves?

Enthusiast

I'll be back sometime in July. Will let you know.

Campfire will start making its way to our distributors in May. Should be on shelves by June.
    Mat Garretson
    HIGH WEST DISTILLERY

Enthusiast

Tasted the Campfire at the Wine Warehouse Grand Tasting yesterday and it's definitely not for me. I'm not a fan of peated scotches and it tasted like band-aid. In other news, Perkins is an awesome guy to talk to while tasting whiskey and High West makes the best white dog I've tasted.

Wait a minute, I remember reading about how Bruichladdich once made a blend of Scotch whisky and Irish single malt whiskey from Cooley and called it Celtic Nations. And the product was taken off the market because the SWA got pissed off. I take it then that High West Campfire will only be sold in the US.