Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Coming down from "Whiskey Snobbery"

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    Compare it to music.
    What's the best rock and roll song ever recorded? No single answer is possible - it's the same with whiskey. There is a time and place for most whiskies and there is a time when simple and delicious fits the moment perfectly.
    We "play" our whiskies the same way a good DJ plays the right cut for the moment.
    That's a great analogy. I'm into all different kinds of music, but sometimes I just really enjoy a little AC/DC.... simple, hard rocking, fun music; same goes for whisk(e)y.

Connoisseur

Yep, a good 80% of what I have in the cabinet at any time is less than $30 a bottle. Heck, usually half is even under $20. I guess I'm a cheap whiskey guy. It's still tasty though!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Guru

I have been there for quite a while, boss302. While I still have several very fancy bottlings bunkered and even a couple open, about all I buy anymore are WT 101 and OGD 86.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur

It seems to me, taking a "step up" doesn't necessarily require paying more. A neighbor, who only drinks good ole JD, stopped by while I was enjoying a pour of OWA. So, I got another Glencairn and poured him some. His eye lit up at the nose even before he took a sip. I suggested that if he really liked Tennessee sippin' whiskey, he should give Dickel a try. He had never heard of OWA--which is not surprising because we can't get it in Ohio. But he had never heard of Dickel either. Both OWA and GD are way better than JD (IMHO) but are in the same price range.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Virtuoso

Regular purchases are WT 101, GD #12, EC 12, OGD BiB, and FRSB (not really a low budget pour, but I have to have it!)

Enthusiast

I have always enjoyed finding a quality pour at a valued price [VOV BIB]. But, you have to be willing to try the valued brands to find the ones you like/value. There are certainly times for cracking open a premium pour, usually when they add to the event being celebrated.
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bllygthrd View Post
    I have always enjoyed finding a quality pour at a valued price [VOV BIB]. But, you have to be willing to try the valued brands to find the ones you like/value. There are certainly times for cracking open a premium pour, usually when they add to the event being celebrated.
    Exactly. Special whiskies are for special occasions. If you drink them all the time, then when you need something special, there isn't anything.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by bllygthrd View Post
    I think your second sentence is the most important. I know there are several $20 - $30 pours I like, but if I were given a random sampling of all the whiskeys in this price range that existed I'd probably be satisfied with the value of less than half.

Virtuoso

The only way to really know if you prefer bottle X over Y at any price is with a blind tasting, or as I like to call it, The Great Equalizer. We're too often lured by factors other than the whiskey alone. I'm no exception. Good stuff is good stuff, but sometimes other things get in the way.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

I have a lot of premium bottles but I reach for WT 101 most of the time.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.