Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Coming down from "Whiskey Snobbery"

I have a few bottles I would consider 'premium' for my purposes and most are open, but I usually pour from the bottles in the $20-$30 range (WT101, EWSB, BT, etc.) I'm starting to get even less 'snobbish' than that and am working in some cheaper bottles, like HH, and EWB. I've enjoyed a lot in that price range too and will probably continue to buy more.

Connoisseur

I'm not sure I agree with the tenor of this thread. Snobbery has nothing at all to do with price. It is about flouting others lacking 'inner circle' opinions or experiences. I've only noticed it through the paucity of posts in certain threads on the forum. It doesn't appear to be much of a problem here - mostly good folk with firm opinions.

If some prefer to drink high-priced whiskey on a regular basis (don't we wish we all could), they don't appear to suggest we all ought to do likewise. More often, it seems they want to share their bounty when finding new sources of enjoyment. It's not snobbish to refuse to drink something that doesn't appeal to you, it's snobbish to refuse to drink with someone who doesn't share your epicurean attainments.
    Last edited by MauiSon; 07-30-2012 at 14:54.

Guru

Hear hear!
    You nailed it MauiSon.
    Snobbery is a two-way street.
    Both Blue Bloods (i.e. Charles on M*A*S*H TV show) and Tailer Trash (i.e. Gretchen Wilson's song "Redneck Woman) can be snobs.
    ovh

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

In my view, snobbery is disdaining something that might be of value because it doesn't fit your preconceptions of what is good, valid, or "approved". As the last posters have recognized, snobbery can exist on all parts of the social scale. If you reject something because it isn't part of your world, you can't learn anything further.

Snobbery has no place in the world of drink or anywhere, IMO. Knowledge does though. Knowledge is good. But it shouldn't be used to put something down, because it becomes anti-knowledge.

I don't like 36 month old bourbon that has a strong corn taste. I don't like it because I think it doesn't taste very good, not because of what it costs. Everyone is entitled to like what they want of course, including me. By the same token, I don't like most bourbon older than 10-12 years. I don't care how much it costs. I think the very high prices fetched for it aren't justified usually (there are exceptions). Some people disagree, fine, since again we all have our own taste. But if someone tells me a whiskey is inherently great because it costs $80.00 or more, well, I just can't accept that.

Knowledge is good, again. It's information filtered though a certain sensibility. But rejecting something simply because of what it costs just never made any sense to me, just as embracing it for what it costs doesn't either.

Case in point: one of the best bourbons I've had this year cost $18.00, it's Triple A. I spent almost $80.00 for a 4RSB (the 2012 limited edition) that was certainly good but no better IMO than most 4RSBs I've had. Enough said.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 07-30-2012 at 18:04.

Guru

Nice post (as usual), Gary. It really does come down to personal preferences and, as another member pointed out yesterday, blind tastings really are the way to bust the myths surrounding some of the highest priced bourbons on the shelf. I always marvel at how much perception plays in our enjoyment of fine spirits and how often inexpensive bottles mop the floor with the so-called "classics."
    Last edited by unclebunk; 07-31-2012 at 10:14.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Case in point: one of the best bourbons I've had this year cost $18.00, it's Triple A. I spent almost $80.00 for a 4RSB (the 2012 limited edition) that was certainly good but no better IMO than most 4RSBs I've had. Enough said.

Gary
    It's not snobbery just personal taste.
    For example at $18.00 I will pass on the AAA, to me it's not worth it.
    I bought 4 bottles of 4R1B 2012 LE at $75.00 each and I wish I had bought more because I feel it's a bargain.
    ovh

Apprentice

Personally, I prefer whiskey higher on the proof scale. I enjoy the thick mouth feel and to an extent the fire that underpins all the flavors. I seldom add water to whiskey because from my experience it deadens some flavors and brings out others, creating a balance different from the original drink, and the original flavor profile is why I'm drinking a particular whiskey to begin with. That being said, anytime I go out for dinner with friends and someone suggests that we order drinks, someone will almost undeniably complain of their cocktail being "too strong." My experiences with high proof whiskey and just drinking whiskey in general has led to my wanting the untainted, raw taste of the spirit in question: tequila, gin, vodka (for what it's worth), or whiskey. My preferences for stiff drinks and neat whiskey lend themselves to an air of snobbery.

That's kind of off topic, but it goes hand in hand with seldom drinkers' perceptions of spirits.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post

It's not snobbery just personal taste.
    For example at $18.00 I will pass on the AAA, to me it's not worth it.
    I bought 4 bottles of 4R1B 2012 LE at $75.00 each and I wish I had bought more because I feel it's a bargain.
    Personal taste is what it's all about. I love AAA 10 yr., but I also think the 2012 4R1B LE might just be the best bourbon I've ever had.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Fair enough, and I agree with Oscar too that it is all down to taste. I am simply saying, if someone says a whiskey has to be good just because it costs a lot (or vice versa) I don't agree with that and I think few here would. Many people do though choose spirits on that basis, I suppose it's a kind of shorthand, for people who don't want to take the time to study it. Snobbery is probably too strong a word in fact, but I'm thinking of people e.g. who feel Johnny Walker Blue is great simply because it is expensive and has a luxury packaging, well I don't agree with that. (It's a good whisky, but others in the line-up are better value IMO, notably the Gold). We all have interests in some areas more than others and I suppose if you really analyse it, price and package are one way to ensure to the casual buyer a certain minimum quality; and therefore snobbery, which has negative connotations to some, is again probably too strong a word. But as in any field where people acquire knowledge (cars, computers or anything else) if you take the time to learn about it, you can often do better than the standard in its class.

Just another point is that each bottle really can be different. I've had Triple A I wouldn't buy again, and some I've really liked. Perhaps that's even true of the 4RSB Limited Edition 2012, but the one I happened to have struck me as pretty typical of 4RSB. I loved the anniversary 17 year old bottling, that was amazing. But every bottle can differ and I almost always look at them now as individual buys if you see what I mean...

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 08-02-2012 at 12:23.

Guru

I simply look at it from this perspective, having drunk a LOT of bourbons in my time. You can buy Good cheap bourbon but you can't buy Great cheap bourbon.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"