Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 69

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    Posts
    349

    Balcones Brimstone - Texas Scrub Oak Blue Corn Whiskey

    This whiskey may have been discussed elsewhere, but I was unable to find it with the search function ...

    Has anyone tried Balcones Brimstone - Texas Scrub Oak Blue Corn Whiskey? Was given a snifter of it, blind and straight up, at the best bourbon bar in CRW. Took a sniff ... it smelled like pulled pork BBQ ... tasted like liquid BBQ also ...

    A very interesting whiskey, but I put it in the novelty category ... and at $65/750mL ... a bit too pricey for a conversation piece. I can't see anyone enjoying this whiskey on a daily bases ... thumb-balconesBrimstone.jpg
    Sto lat!!!

    bllygthrd

  2. #2
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    586
    Color: Light amber.

    Nose: Whiffs of smoke and BBQ, bacon and grease. There's char in here as well. Interesting!

    Taste: Smoke quickly floods the palate, like the fire alarm just went off. Subsides with time as bacon bits and corn begin to emerge. Smoke lingers throughout. Soft oakiness on exit.

    Finish: Incredibly long and complex. There's an oily, saltiness that develops like after eating roasted peanuts. Hangs around forever.

    Rating: Bold and flavorful, easily my favorite Balcones so far. This one has lots to offer and plenty to like. Would pair well with a nice steak. I'm scoring this one an 89.
    Josh

    "The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

  3. #3
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    Posts
    349

    Re: Balcones Brimstone - Texas Scrub Oak Blue Corn Whiskey

    Quote Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post
    Color: Light amber.

    Nose: Whiffs of smoke and BBQ, bacon and grease. There's char in here as well. Interesting!

    Taste: Smoke quickly floods the palate, like the fire alarm just went off. Subsides with time as bacon bits and corn begin to emerge. Smoke lingers throughout. Soft oakiness on exit.

    Finish: Incredibly long and complex. There's an oily, saltiness that develops like after eating roasted peanuts. Hangs around forever.

    Rating: Bold and flavorful, easily my favorite Balcones so far. This one has lots to offer and plenty to like. Would pair well with a nice steak. I'm scoring this one an 89.
    Josh:
    For the most part, I agree with your verbiage ... although my sample was more pinkish rather than amber and I didn't get the saltiness or bacon overtones ... but, my taste buds are on the downside of the slope.
    Last edited by bllygthrd; 07-29-2012 at 17:58. Reason: syntax
    Sto lat!!!

    bllygthrd

  4. #4
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    772

    Re: Balcones Brimstone - Texas Scrub Oak Blue Corn Whiskey

    Quote Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post
    Color: Light amber.

    Nose: Whiffs of smoke and BBQ, bacon and grease. There's char in here as well. Interesting!

    Taste: Smoke quickly floods the palate, like the fire alarm just went off. Subsides with time as bacon bits and corn begin to emerge. Smoke lingers throughout. Soft oakiness on exit.

    Finish: Incredibly long and complex. There's an oily, saltiness that develops like after eating roasted peanuts. Hangs around forever.

    Rating: Bold and flavorful, easily my favorite Balcones so far. This one has lots to offer and plenty to like. Would pair well with a nice steak. I'm scoring this one an 89.
    Nice review as usual Josh and I agree, it's my fav Balcones as well. I really enjoy this expression from what's likely to be the best distillery in the Lone Star State! Chip has found a winner with Brimstone! I need mas!
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

  5. #5
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kilgore, TX
    Posts
    688

    Re: Balcones Brimstone - Texas Scrub Oak Blue Corn Whiskey

    I had the same impressions initially as you did bllygthrd. But, as you keep drinking it, it seems to shift and instead of wanting less of it, I wanted more. And more....
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

  6. #6
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Tallahassee
    Posts
    1,404

    Re: Balcones Brimstone - Texas Scrub Oak Blue Corn Whiskey

    In a classic case of YMMV my impression didn't exactly line up with Josh's and Young Blacksmith's.
    The more I sipped the less I enjoyed it, and I didn't care for it at all on the first sip. Eventually I went looking for a tung scraper in an attempt to remove the greasy sooty taste from my mouth.
    I didn't get smoke as much as wet greasy soot. It reminded me of the nasty flavors Mesquite wood imparts to BBQ.
    Not smokey but more like drinking from a bottle of concentrated Mesquite flavoring mixed with a very young white dog.

  7. #7

    Re: Balcones Brimstone - Texas Scrub Oak Blue Corn Whiskey

    Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    In a classic case of YMMV my impression didn't exactly line up with Josh's and Young Blacksmith's.
    The more I sipped the less I enjoyed it, and I didn't care for it at all on the first sip. Eventually I went looking for a tung scraper in an attempt to remove the greasy sooty taste from my mouth.
    I didn't get smoke as much as wet greasy soot. It reminded me of the nasty flavors Mesquite wood imparts to BBQ.
    Not smokey but more like drinking from a bottle of concentrated Mesquite flavoring mixed with a very young white dog.
    Thanks for taking the time to try our Brimstone. We have had some distributor problems that have resulted in less than perfect shelf quality, I'm sorry to say. In any case, I would encourage you to try it again, if you get a chance. I think you will find the more recent bottlings more to your liking and closer to what MacinJosh was describing. We're working on the problem now and should have new bottles on the shelf soon.

  8. #8
    Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,847

    Re: Balcones Brimstone - Texas Scrub Oak Blue Corn Whiskey

    Quote Originally Posted by OTwhisky View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to try our Brimstone. We have had some distributor problems that have resulted in less than perfect shelf quality
    1st post from someone who represents Balcones? You might want to introduce yourself to provide some credentials.

  9. #9
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just East of the Big Chicken, GA
    Posts
    6,132

    Re: Balcones Brimstone - Texas Scrub Oak Blue Corn Whiskey

    Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    1st post from someone who represents Balcones? You might want to introduce yourself to provide some credentials.
    Hey Wade, you haven't earned the Title, "Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker" for nothing!!
    JOE

    Wag more.
    Bark less.

    "Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

  10. #10
    Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,847

    Re: Balcones Brimstone - Texas Scrub Oak Blue Corn Whiskey

    Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    1st post from someone who represents Balcones? You might want to introduce yourself to provide some credentials.
    If you are going to post something here and imply you represent a certain company, I think the least you can is provide some details. Maybe I'll create a new sb username and start posting in Van Winkle threads as I am Julian Van Winkle IV

    Also, from my personal experience, any QC issues from a major KY distillery would result in that bottle being promptly refunded or replaced. This guy posts as Balcones and comes across as sorry you wasted that $65 on product that had QC issue; please buy again.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. All HH corn whiskey is the same. Really?
    By Tetralix in forum New to Straightbourbon
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-06-2007, 10:20
  2. Blue Collar whiskey
    By Old Bill in forum New to Straightbourbon
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 03-12-2007, 15:33
  3. Corn Vodka = Unaged Corn Whiskey?
    By Rughi in forum Other American Whiskey
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-22-2005, 13:13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top