Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Balcones Brimstone - Texas Scrub Oak Blue Corn Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    Thanks for jumping in with the clarication, Chip. I was one put off by the initial statement, but it's not like I use the right words 100% of the time either. I think in general, the marketplace wants to support the "true" microdistiller, and I think you'll get a fair shake.
    I appreciate that and your candor. Out baby's been sick and not a lot of sleep. Thanks for understanding--Chip

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by OTwhisky View Post
    I appreciate that and your candor. Out baby's been sick and not a lot of sleep. Thanks for understanding--Chip
    FWIW, I love the True Blue Cask Strength. I chose it over the Brimstone just for my love of cask strength bottlings. But putting out world-class whiskies, and having a sick child at the moment, gold medal performance in my book. And no, being a Native Texan has no influence on my palate. Hope the little one gets well soon.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by OTwhisky View Post
    Chip from Balcones here again. Sorry, I was a little testy earlier today. I know you all are all well intended and I appreciate your interest. Hopefully, it's better to get a reply from a grumpy head distiller than a fake brand rep Have a good one and look forward to your future comments.

Chip
    You? Testy? Say it ain't so. You are always so calm and easy going.

By the way, I'm allowed to say that to Chip.

Enthusiast

I for one, very much enjoy Chip's personality - he's outspoken and passionate. While it may seem gruff at times, you won't find too many other folks with his position in the industry who are still passionate about trying new whisk(e)y and other drinks and finding ways to make his stuff even better.

Some of the finest new make I've had comes from Chip's still - the fact I can drink his mash & new make and actually enjoy it says something!

Glad to have you on the forum, Chip - and thanks for clarifying! (FWIW: Having had multiple off the shelf bottlings of Brimstone from the very beginning, I can honestly say that it's done nothing but improve from an already really great whisky!).

Virtuoso

Got a bottle on the way. Can't wait. FWIW I suspect that all passionate distillers have a "hot streak" and this board has a way of bringing it out from time to time
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Connoisseur
    The Whiskey Leprechaun delivered a Balcones Brimstone Barrel 1200 "Burned Barrel" sample the other day. It's a non-production sample and clocked in at 48%. I tasted this blind and wasn't told what it was until after the fact. My thoughts....

Color: Light amber.

Nose: An immediate blast of bacon bits. Smoked salmon and a whiff of burnt rubber. More bacon bits, like the artificial ones you put on salads. Yum!

Taste: Hickory smoked beef jerky with a hint of BBQ sauce. Crisp bacon followed by notes of A1 steak sauce. Oily and fat, bacon grease. ‹ber mouth coating. Transitions quickly from start to finish but damn it's bold!

Finish: Smoked wood chips. Grilled steak. A bit of char on the back end. Burnt oak.

Rating: This is a meat-lovers whiskey! Bacon, steak, grease, and fat....I can feel my arteries clogging already! What a unique pour. I'm scoring this one a 92.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothAmbler View Post
    You? Testy? Say it ain't so. You are always so calm and easy going.

By the way, I'm allowed to say that to Chip.
    It takes one a grumpy ole distillery to know another--one of your many positive attributes. : ) It's true

Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant man View Post
    Got a bottle on the way. Can't wait. FWIW I suspect that all passionate distillers have a "hot streak" and this board has a way of bringing it out from time to time
    very true, we do. temperamental artists, I guess

Connoisseur

I just bought a bottle of True Blue, bottled 9/12/11. It tastes a lot like smoky tequila. I don't give a rat's ass how many awards it's won, it's a strong tequila flavor to me, and a huge waste of money in my house. Obviously, such a strong opinion may be an outlier. Thus, if you're in DC, just PM me and I'll pour you some so you can make your own decision. I'm disgusted by the price and how boring it is.

Connoisseur

As part of his Craft Whiskey Week, sku samples Brimstone and offers his thoughts.

I have an opened bottle and am trying hard to make it last until I and get my hands
    on a couple more. The smoky flavors didn't do much for me this summer but I think
    the upcoming colder months will have me reaching for the Brimstone with greater
    frequency.
    John Q.
    Tennessee Squire
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva
    It won't be any cheaper than it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Someone will pay it. Someone always pays it.