Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Balcones Brimstone - Texas Scrub Oak Blue Corn Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    I'm disgusted by the price and how boring it is.
    Almost all craft offerings are in this price range - and most of them aren't very good.

Although your opinion on the whiskey is certainly valid (i.e. it doesn't taste good to you), I'd be hard pressed to agree on any level that its "boring." I've had quite a bit of Balcones over the years, and while I'm an admitted super fan of Chip's stuff (especially Rumble Cask Reserve & Brimstone), and nothing I've had qualifies as boring - or poor quality. Tastes may vary, but the measure of quality isn't as subjective - and he makes good stuff!

Guru

I've only tasted the Brimstone, and agree that you couldn't call it "boring" - although it absolutely was not my cup of tea (or bourbon). The closest thing it reminded me of was Charred Oak in that "burnt wood" was the predominant character I walked away with. Might be exactly what some folks are looking for (hey - I love Laphroaig which some Scotch enthusiasts think is bathwater), just not me.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

I had some at the gazebo, and I didn't think it was boring but I didn't really care for it either. I love their malt and Tru & Baby Blues, but the brimstone just wasn't gettin' it done for me. I would rank Corsair Triple Smoke and HW Campfire* over Brimstone.

*Yes I know Campfire is a vatting so it's not the same thing.

UPDATE: Just read the rest of the thread. Wow, I missed out on another good one. Anyway, I will keep an open mind and try some from a different bottle at the next opportunity.
    Last edited by Josh; 09-22-2012 at 18:35.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by OTwhisky View Post
    Jesus, guys. The is CHIP TATE, HEAD DISTILLER AT BALCONES. Please don't beat up on new employees that ALMOST understood what I asked them to post on the internet. This issue is that some distributors don't front their cases well and so a bottle from 2010 will end up on the shelf, rather than more recent bottlings. Why does that matter? Let me clarify:

1) There are no BAD bottles of Balcones out there.
    2) What my employee was TRYING to say is that I blind taste each new blend against previous batches to make sure it is better than the last. Again, THERE ARE NO BAD BOTTLES OF BALCONES, but each batch is better than the last.
    3) Given these former points, later batches of Brimstone and all of our products may be even more pleasing to your palate than earlier one. As one of the few "craft" distilleries that actually bottles whisky the actually make (and please feel free to contact me if you'd like to know who's who), we hope that our quality improves daily. JUST TO AVOID ANY MISUNDERSTANDINGS, I do not mean to suggest that our quality has ever been anything but excellent.

And just for the record, Jim Murray just rated the "bad" brimstone in question very highly (95+) and awarded it a Liquid Gold award in his 2013 Whisky Bible. But since that is not out yet, you'll just have to take my word for that. I stand by every bottle we've ever put out and I hope you enjoy them all. If you don't, I won't apologize for that, but I would encourage to continue to try our products. Most of the worlds' most prestegious tasters including Paul Pacult, Andy Dias Blue and, as previously mentioned, Jim Murray consider our products worldclass. Hopefully, that means enough to some to try our products with an open mind. I will make a point to get people to sign their posts in the future, but do let it go. If you don't want to, email me directly at chiptate@balconesdistilling.com and we can talk it out mono y mono.

THIS IS CHIP TATE, PRESIDENT AND HEAD DISTILLER FOR BALCONES
    Good Evening Chip. I did want to revisit this statement, but I wanted to wait because I didn't want my question to come off as abraisive or attacking, as I assure you my intent is only to understand. Above in point number two, I added italics and bold type to a statement you made. While I can appreciate that continous improvement is key to the manufacture of any product, how do you balance that with consistancy - particularly on a product that is very subjective and individually biased in grading quality.

If I were in your position, I would be concerned that someone would love my 2010 version, but after a few "improvements", might not like the 2013 edition nearly as much. Or they might like it equally as well, but notice that it is different and might not "chance it" on future releases. I think I would be concerned that the next batch is the same as the first, not "better" than the first.

I hope you find time to answer, and again I'm not trying to be critical, only to better understand your operations and the industry in general.

Connoisseur
    I really dig the Brimstone and Greg (man I hope I remembered that right) was gracious enough to send me home with the bottle from the Gazebo.

Thanks again!!
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Enthusiast

Brimstone is definitely the one in the lineup that I'd recommend tasting. Buying a bottle blind could be risky but if you like it you probably won't find anything else like it anywhere else.
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post
    I really dig the Brimstone and Greg (man I hope I remembered that right) was gracious enough to send me home with the bottle from the Gazebo.

Thanks again!!
    Greg

I'm glad you found a home for that because as much as I hate to say it, it was awful. Texas is batting 0 for 2.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

I recently had a glass of the Brimstone at a restaurant and really enjoyed it. Have a bottle of Baby Blue and enjoy it as well. I have been impressed with these two offerings and look forward to hopefully some wider distribution in CA.

Apprentice

haven't had the brimstone, but love the baby blue. on my second bottle of blue. will need to track down the brimstone.

George

Connoisseur

My review having first tried it a few days ago.
    Balcones Brimstone. Wow, I'm glad I waited until the end of the evening to sample this foul concoction. This beverage will contaminate your pallet in 5 seconds flat. It tasted like someone pressure washed an old smokehouse and concentrated the waste water and then added it to a green corn spirit. Very nasty. I took two small sips and threw the rest out.