Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Balcones Brimstone - Texas Scrub Oak Blue Corn Whiskey

This whiskey may have been discussed elsewhere, but I was unable to find it with the search function ...

Has anyone tried Balcones Brimstone - Texas Scrub Oak Blue Corn Whiskey? Was given a snifter of it, blind and straight up, at the best bourbon bar in CRW. Took a sniff ... it smelled like pulled pork BBQ ... tasted like liquid BBQ also ...

A very interesting whiskey, but I put it in the novelty category ... and at $65/750mL ... a bit too pricey for a conversation piece. I can't see anyone enjoying this whiskey on a daily bases ... thumb-balconesBrimstone.jpg
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd

Connoisseur
    Color: Light amber.

Nose: Whiffs of smoke and BBQ, bacon and grease. There's char in here as well. Interesting!

Taste: Smoke quickly floods the palate, like the fire alarm just went off. Subsides with time as bacon bits and corn begin to emerge. Smoke lingers throughout. Soft oakiness on exit.

Finish: Incredibly long and complex. There's an oily, saltiness that develops like after eating roasted peanuts. Hangs around forever.

Rating: Bold and flavorful, easily my favorite Balcones so far. This one has lots to offer and plenty to like. Would pair well with a nice steak. I'm scoring this one an 89.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."

Enthusiast

Re: Balcones Brimstone - Texas Scrub Oak Blue Corn Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post

Nose: Whiffs of smoke and BBQ, bacon and grease. There's char in here as well. Interesting!

Taste: Smoke quickly floods the palate, like the fire alarm just went off. Subsides with time as bacon bits and corn begin to emerge. Smoke lingers throughout. Soft oakiness on exit.

Finish: Incredibly long and complex. There's an oily, saltiness that develops like after eating roasted peanuts. Hangs around forever.

Rating: Bold and flavorful, easily my favorite Balcones so far. This one has lots to offer and plenty to like. Would pair well with a nice steak. I'm scoring this one an 89.
    Josh:
    For the most part, I agree with your verbiage ... although my sample was more pinkish rather than amber and I didn't get the saltiness or bacon overtones ... but, my taste buds are on the downside of the slope.
    Last edited by bllygthrd; 07-29-2012 at 16:58. Reason: syntax
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post

Nice review as usual Josh and I agree, it's my fav Balcones as well. I really enjoy this expression from what's likely to be the best distillery in the Lone Star State! Chip has found a winner with Brimstone! I need mas!
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Connoisseur

I had the same impressions initially as you did bllygthrd. But, as you keep drinking it, it seems to shift and instead of wanting less of it, I wanted more. And more....
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Virtuoso

In a classic case of YMMV my impression didn't exactly line up with Josh's and Young Blacksmith's.
    The more I sipped the less I enjoyed it, and I didn't care for it at all on the first sip. Eventually I went looking for a tung scraper in an attempt to remove the greasy sooty taste from my mouth.
    I didn't get smoke as much as wet greasy soot. It reminded me of the nasty flavors Mesquite wood imparts to BBQ.
    Not smokey but more like drinking from a bottle of concentrated Mesquite flavoring mixed with a very young white dog.

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    In a classic case of YMMV my impression didn't exactly line up with Josh's and Young Blacksmith's.
    The more I sipped the less I enjoyed it, and I didn't care for it at all on the first sip. Eventually I went looking for a tung scraper in an attempt to remove the greasy sooty taste from my mouth.
    I didn't get smoke as much as wet greasy soot. It reminded me of the nasty flavors Mesquite wood imparts to BBQ.
    Not smokey but more like drinking from a bottle of concentrated Mesquite flavoring mixed with a very young white dog.
    Thanks for taking the time to try our Brimstone. We have had some distributor problems that have resulted in less than perfect shelf quality, I'm sorry to say. In any case, I would encourage you to try it again, if you get a chance. I think you will find the more recent bottlings more to your liking and closer to what MacinJosh was describing. We're working on the problem now and should have new bottles on the shelf soon.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by OTwhisky View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to try our Brimstone. We have had some distributor problems that have resulted in less than perfect shelf quality
    1st post from someone who represents Balcones? You might want to introduce yourself to provide some credentials.

Guru
    Brimstone to me is a "in the right mood" kind of dram for me. I'm normally an Islay Scotch kind of a drinker - I just keep getting dried goji berries in the Brimstone that brings me back to childhood days of being sick & grandma making me drink concoctions of Chinese medicine.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Virtuoso
    Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    1st post from someone who represents Balcones? You might want to introduce yourself to provide some credentials.
    Wade, I talked to Chip after I saw that post and he said that it was someone in his office under his direction. So, this came straight out of the distillery mostly from Chip's words. I'm sure they'll come back and clear it up