Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Balcones Brimstone - Texas Scrub Oak Blue Corn Whiskey

I think everyone who's posted on the thread has signaled strong interest in Balcones, or at least enough interest to try your stuff. The issue was dropping $60 on something that was compromised after it left your distillery.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification. I still want that True Blue bottle and now will have to convince my wife to let me, since I blew my budget last night on my misunderstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by OTwhisky View Post
    Jesus, guys. The is CHIP TATE, HEAD DISTILLER AT BALCONES. Please don't beat up on new employees that ALMOST understood what I asked them to post on the internet. This issue is that some distributors don't front their cases well and so a bottle from 2010 will end up on the shelf, rather than more recent bottlings. Why does that matter? Let me clarify:

1) There are no BAD bottles of Balcones out there.
    2) What my employee was TRYING to say is that I blind taste each new blend against previous batches to make sure it is better than the last. Again, THERE ARE NO BAD BOTTLES OF BALCONES, but each batch is better than the last.
    3) Given these former points, later batches of Brimstone and all of our products may be even more pleasing to your palate than earlier one. As one of the few "craft" distilleries that actually bottles whisky the actually make (and please feel free to contact me if you'd like to know who's who), we hope that our quality improves daily. JUST TO AVOID ANY MISUNDERSTANDINGS, I do not mean to suggest that our quality has ever been anything but excellent.

And just for the record, Jim Murray just rated the "bad" brimstone in question very highly (95+) and awarded it a Liquid Gold award in his 2013 Whisky Bible. But since that is not out yet, you'll just have to take my word for that. I stand by every bottle we've ever put out and I hope you enjoy them all. If you don't, I won't apologize for that, but I would encourage to continue to try our products. Most of the worlds' most prestegious tasters including Paul Pacult, Andy Dias Blue and, as previously mentioned, Jim Murray consider our products worldclass. Hopefully, that means enough to some to try our products with an open mind. I will make a point to get people to sign their posts in the future, but do let it go. If you don't want to, email me directly at chiptate@balconesdistilling.com and we can talk it out mono y mono.

THIS IS CHIP TATE, PRESIDENT AND HEAD DISTILLER FOR BALCONES

Virtuoso

Thanks for your participation and the clarification Chip. Always good to hear from someone passionate about the whiskey they are making. I look forward to trying some of your other expressions.

Virtuoso

I'm a big fan of this stuff. It tastes like no whiskey I have ever had, packs a punch at 106pf, and demonstrates a wholly creative process absolutely unique to the American whiskey profile. It doesn't have to be something I would drink everyday for me to get excited about it. I tend to enjoy extreme profiles like malt peat monsters even if I don't drink them very often, and I think this stuff is somewhat of a novelty, but it's well-made and gimmick-free. And it serves up plenty of drama, which is another whiskey characteristic that I gravitate towards.

A 100% corn whiskey that tastes deeply of BBQ... seriously WTF?!
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I'm a big fan of this stuff. It tastes like no whiskey I have ever had, packs a punch at 106pf, and demonstrates a wholly creative process absolutely unique to the American whiskey profile. It doesn't have to be something I would drink everyday for me to get excited about it. I tend to enjoy extreme profiles like malt peat monsters even if I don't drink them very often, and I think this stuff is somewhat of a novelty, but it's well-made and gimmick-free. And it serves up plenty of drama, which is another whiskey characteristic that I gravitate towards.

So if I drink it for dinner, I'm not an alcoholic?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    So if I drink it for dinner, I'm not an alcoholic?
    Well I dunno about that... A night on the sauce won't make you an alcoholic, but the whiskey sure doesn't taste like chicken!
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Connoisseur

Well I dunno about that... A night on the sauce won't make you an alcoholic, but the whiskey sure doesn't taste like chicken!
    Man, I'm getting crazy hungry just reading this thread! Anyone else up for BBQ?

Quote Originally Posted by StraightNoChaser View Post
    SB can be a tad nitpicky at times, Chip. But welcome to the board!
    Chip from Balcones here again. Sorry, I was a little testy earlier today. I know you all are all well intended and I appreciate your interest. Hopefully, it's better to get a reply from a grumpy head distiller than a fake brand rep Have a good one and look forward to your future comments.

Chip

Disciple

Thanks for jumping in with the clarication, Chip. I was one put off by the initial statement, but it's not like I use the right words 100% of the time either. I think in general, the marketplace wants to support the "true" microdistiller, and I think you'll get a fair shake.

Guru

I for one would love to try some. Sounds wholly unique.

Connoisseur

I really dig it as well. It's like someone took my favorite beef jerky and infused it with my whiskey. Mmmmmm.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."