Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Enthusiast

Re: Balcones Brimstone - Texas Scrub Oak Blue Corn Whiskey

Glad you enjoy it! Cheers!

Enthusiast

The Brimstone has been of interest of mine for a quite a while as I drink scotch too (yes blasphemy) and while I love the smokey flavors of peat (I usually drink wine finishes) I find the earthy TCP to be revolting sometimes. Brimstone seems like the best product: No peat, just straight up smokey BBQ and corn whiskey.

Winston, do you smoke your malt before distillation or is it smoked after?

Also, any idea when Balcones will break into PA? I would like to try out your products!

Advanced Taster

I have a bottle of Brimstone open. I like it. I like it much more then then Johnnie Walker Red, Black, Double Black, and Laphroaig 10 too. To me these scotches have a taste step to the smoke that seems contrived. The Brimstone tastes like Texas Barbecue. It's not trying to be something it's not. It taste like Texas Whiskey.

Ted
    In Society that Outlaws Adventure the Only Adventure is to Outlaw that Society

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by zillah View Post
    The Brimstone has been of interest of mine for a quite a while as I drink scotch too (yes blasphemy) and while I love the smokey flavors of peat (I usually drink wine finishes) I find the earthy TCP to be revolting sometimes. Brimstone seems like the best product: No peat, just straight up smokey BBQ and corn whiskey.

Winston, do you smoke your malt before distillation or is it smoked after?

Also, any idea when Balcones will break into PA? I would like to try out your products!
    We smoke the actual whisky post-distillation. And it's a corn whiskey, no malt involved, just 100% blue corn

No ETA on breaking into PA. At this point we can barely supply our current distributors so there won't be any expansion into new markets until we up our production capacity (which we're working on!)

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by r60slash5 View Post
    I have a bottle of Brimstone open. I like it. I like it much more then then Johnnie Walker Red, Black, Double Black, and Laphroaig 10 too. To me these scotches have a taste step to the smoke that seems contrived. The Brimstone tastes like Texas Barbecue. It's not trying to be something it's not. It taste like Texas Whiskey.

Ted
    I'm not a fan of peaty stuff myself honestly. I still enjoy the occasional Highland Park because the peat is very subtle, but most of the heavily peated stuff puts me off.

It's fun to mix Balcones Single Malt with Brimstone... they complement each other well

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Balcones Winston View Post
    I'm not a fan of peaty stuff myself honestly. I still enjoy the occasional Highland Park because the peat is very subtle, but most of the heavily peated stuff puts me off.

It's fun to mix Balcones Single Malt with Brimstone... they complement each other well
    I like the older peated stuff better. Laphroaig 18 is ok because it has a smoother transition to the smoke. I'll have to dig in my Whiskey Pile I know I have 2 more bottles Balcones, but I think a Single malt, and Baby, or True Blue. Thanks I'll try that

Ted
    In Society that Outlaws Adventure the Only Adventure is to Outlaw that Society

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Balcones Winston View Post
    We smoke the actual whisky post-distillation. And it's a corn whiskey, no malt involved, just 100% blue corn

No ETA on breaking into PA. At this point we can barely supply our current distributors so there won't be any expansion into new markets until we up our production capacity (which we're working on!)
    I get so used to a certain nomenclature when talking about scotch that I forget to switch back. Thanks for answering! Can't wait till you guys can get the supply and demand in balance so you can expand. Maybe I will have to bootleg something from NY in the meantime.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by zillah View Post
    I get so used to a certain nomenclature when talking about scotch that I forget to switch back. Thanks for answering! Can't wait till you guys can get the supply and demand in balance so you can expand. Maybe I will have to bootleg something from NY in the meantime.
    It's definitely in stock around NY and NJ. Check out www.1000corks.com

Connoisseur

DrinkupNY.com also had a selection last I checked.
    Peggy: Look Al, the rubes think I'm sexy!
    Al: So would I if I had whiskey for breakfast.