Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Taster

Fillibuster Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey

Anyone know the source of this one? http://filibusterbourbon.com/

Connoisseur

Re: Fillibuster Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey

Bottled by Strong Spirits for Mukesh Dilawri, owner of liquor stores in the DC area...

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicDisplaySearchAdvan ced&ttbid=12145001000329

Taster

Thanks. I didn't even think to look at the ttb site.

Connoisseur

So, who is going to give us a very extended speech on this?

Connoisseur

From the label, it's clear it's the "low" rye LDI mashbill. On their website they say it's a blend of young and old whiskies, blended and then aged in French oak wine barrels. I'm assuming they mean 2-year and ~5-year (i.e. not old) whiskeys. This makes me so sad already...

I think this is coming from the guys who own District Liquors, next to the convention center. I have to work from home tomorrow, and if I finish in time I'll head over and try to get a sample. They'd be idiots not to have samples, IMO, considering that the market is so saturated with LDI stuff and they're charging $40 a bottle.

I've seen it around town already, so the guys have some pull.

Taster

I had a small taste of it at Modern Liquors (9th and N NW) a couple weeks ago and that was the first I'd seen of it. It wasn't bad, but basically unremarkable. I've started to see it everywhere in town now, so I think you're right; these dudes have some pull in the area. Is it normal for liquor store owners to do something like this? I've seen liquor store specific labels (usually lowest shelf stuff), but not like this.

Connoisseur

Sorry, Modern Liquors is the right name. We're talking about the same place, but with all the generic names for stores in DC, I got it scrambled.

EDIT: A few retailers have private labels, but mostly for picking scotch single barrels. K&L, I believe, contracts to make their own gin and sells it via their Faultline label. That would be pretty close to these guys in DC. Modern Liquors probably does about 0.1% of the business of K&L, though, so no idea where the money comes from...

Quote Originally Posted by keith18 View Post
    I had a small taste of it at Modern Liquors (9th and N NW) a couple weeks ago and that was the first I'd seen of it. It wasn't bad, but basically unremarkable. I've started to see it everywhere in town now, so I think you're right; these dudes have some pull in the area. Is it normal for liquor store owners to do something like this? I've seen liquor store specific labels (usually lowest shelf stuff), but not like this.
    Last edited by bad_scientist; 08-03-2012 at 07:58.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

They just contacted me, claiming "1ST DC metro company to blend bourbon we are in process to set up distillery in DC. we have FILIBUSTER BOURBON, FILIBUSTER RYE." Guy's name is Sid Dilawri. An article about it is here and their sell sheet is attached.

The label says Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey, so maybe not LDI, or maybe mis-labeled.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by cowdery; 08-07-2012 at 18:43.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    They just contacted me, claiming "1ST DC metro company to blend bourbon we are in process to set up distillery in DC. we have FILIBUSTER BOURBON, FILIBUSTER RYE." Guy's name is Sid Dilawri. An article about it is here and their sell sheet is attached.

The label says Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey, so maybe not LDI, or maybe mis-labeled.

Thanks, Chuck. Their mash bill is the exact same as Very Old Scout and Chattanooga Whiskey. I thought both were sourced from the former LDI.

I was just there last Friday, and they're actually charging more for it than the other place I saw it. No thanks.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

It's undoubtedly LDI, bottled in Bardstown by 'the other guys, so bottled in Kentucky, but not distilled nor aged there. There is a TTB rule that says place of origin labeling must be accurate. Hummmmm.