Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

A Bourbon from High West

As far as I know there is no distinguishing between bourbons if they are from a one distillery or blends. Often we as drinkers dont know

High West has a bourbon out I see and I see its a blend

Whiskey#1: 6 year old Bourbon distilled and aged at the old Seagrams plant in Lawrenceburg Indiana. Mashbill from 75% Corn, 20% rye, 5% barley malt.

Whiskey#2: 10 year old Bourbon distilled by Four Roses. Mashbill from 60% Corn, 35% rye, 5% barley malt.

The name will be American Prairie Reserve and I have read that 10% of the proceeds will go to http://www.americanprairie.org/

Steffen

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: A Bourbon from High West

It's a peculiarity of the rule that a mixture of straight bourbons made at different distilleries in the same state may be labeled as 'straight bourbon,' but a mixture of straight bourbons made at different distilleries in different states must be labeled 'a blend,' although it can and should be labeled 'a blend of straight bourbon whiskies,' if it contains only straight bourbon.

The recent rash of so-called curated bourbons and ryes appearing from 3rd parties at a time when aged whiskey is supposed to be in short supply shows us that, despite the denials of some, all of the major producers are in the bulk whiskey business. The caveat is that most of them only sell bulk whiskey for inventory adjustment purposes, and not in the course of their normal business. It is normal business for LDI and has always been part of Heaven Hill's business, only not so much these days because there really isn't much surplus. When there is, what's a bookkeeping correction for the majors can be a major new product introduction for a High West.

I got a peak at LDI's inventory sheet recently and while they're short on the now famous LDI 95% rye with decent age on it, they've got good stocks of both bourbons up to 7-years-old. They make a 25% rye bourbon and a 40% rye bourbon. All of their recipes are 5% malt. Their bourbons haven't hit the market like the rye has, but Redemption Bourbon and William Henry Harrison Bourbon are two examples.

FYI, if you're thinking about starting a brand, LDI's minimum for a bulk whiskey sale is 20 barrels. You don't even need to have a DSP if you transfer them to someone that does, like Bardstown Barrel Selections or Kentucky Bourbon Distillers, for bottling and distribution.
    Last edited by cowdery; 08-19-2012 at 23:30.

Chuck I liked how you pointed out that it can and should be labeled as "a blend of straight bourbon whiskey". That has always bothered me calling that a blend same as blended whiskey 2 completely different animals.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

The designation is available so you might as well use it. If you can't, then that's suspicious and I would want to know why.

Virtuoso

Just to clarify, High West does label the American Prarie Reserve a "blend of straight bourbons."

Then all is right with the world.

Guru

Thanks for the info, Chuck. As always, very informative. Will keep my eye out for the American Prairie Reserve.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Advanced Taster

I was just walking though the Salt Lake airport and saw that High West has their own bar. They had many full, opened bottles of their products on the shelf, but I was told they are not yet allowed to sell bottles to customers
    Well, how can it not be McCormick's, the $7 well bourbon of the finest dive bars? Tastes like kerosene and sadness.

Guru

Were they allowed to sell drinks?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Were they allowed to sell drinks?
    Yes, I believe they are
    Well, how can it not be McCormick's, the $7 well bourbon of the finest dive bars? Tastes like kerosene and sadness.