Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Enthusiast

Military Special

4627 (2).jpg

Had the opportunity to taste Military Special Kentucky Straight Bourbon ... 80 proof. Evidently this bourbon is only available from military base/post exchanges.

The label states it is bottled by Atlantic Distillers, Co. Baltimore, MD. The neck ring states - Full Four Years Old, Distilled in Kentucky, Genuine Sour Mash.

Cost ... 1.75L for <$16.00. of the

General consensus is that Heaven Hill is the source. Tastes like Heaven Hill Black [80 proof] to me. Nuff tasting notes ...

Many people "poo poo" bourbons at this price point. I'm a disciple of the "there is no bad straight bourbon" philosophy ... I can appreciate a young 2 or 3 year old bourbon ... and recognize that a 4 year old value priced bourbon is what it is ... a great value at $16 for 1.75L.

So, this expression will be for 1) my son and his friends, 2) for mixing, 3) for my third pour of the night and 4) for cooking [bourbon adds a great flavor to roasted bear and venison ... as well as to baked beans and smoked pork butt].
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd

Connoisseur

Re: Military Special

Thanks, blly . . .

I saw this last week at the Ft. Myer Class 6 store. I read the label while standing there then put it back. A quick internets search for "Atlantic Distillers Baltimore" turned up a Bourbon Enthusiast thread from 2011 saying AD Balt told a poster HH makes this, and Atlantic bottles some in Baltimore and some in Bardstown. Our own Paul Elliott posted a comment there. Other places on the internets say it comes from Canada.

blly, more tasting notes. I have a spare $16 but no space for a 1.75 liter except in my car trunk.

Enthusiast

Harry ... LOL. Sorry your storage space is limited. I pick up a 1.75L WLW Special Reserve with a 7 Year neck band while visiting my hometown lthis month ... I made room!

Military Special Tasting Notes

A bit of caramel in the nose ... no alcohol [as expected].

Taste ... bit of caramel, thin, no Heat [I like heat] ...

Finish ...thin and quick.

The absence of offensiveness is an attribute.
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd

Virtuoso

Military Special is currently a Sazerac brand distilled at the Barton distillery. I do think it used to be Heaven Hill.

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonlin...13043001000269

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    Military Special is currently a Sazerac brand distilled at the Barton distillery. I do think it used to be Heaven Hill.

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonlin...13043001000269
    Sku:

Thanks ... I stand corrected ...
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd

Connoisseur

Hhhhmmm. Sazerac. Think might put something in my trunk very soon. Thanks, you two.

Guru

I drank this stuff about 25 years ago. It wasn't very good then but it was cheap.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Guru

Frankly I don't care if it's HH or Barton, four year old Bourbon at $16 per 1.75 defines the bargain category.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.