Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

"Texas Made" Bourbon 1835

OK, stopped by Specs last Thursday and they were promoting a new "Texas" Bourbon. I follow the craft movement pretty well here in Texas and never heard of this product. It's called 1835 Bourbon Whiskey. No age statement, so assuming it's at least 4 years old for $27. I'm 99.99% sure this was not distilled in the State of Texas, but bottle states "Texas Made". You can see the COLA info and label here:

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonlin...12018001000474

It does say Bottled in Lewisville, TX. IMHO, stating "Texas Made" on something that was just bottled here is very deceptive. Goggling North Texas Distillers LLC found a blank webpage, but also a connection to Delos Vodka, which apparently makes a vodka using a vacuum still.

FYI, later that night stopped by Poison Girl and Scott poured me a taste of this. It would be an OK bourbon at $11, which is where you can find several lower end KY brands priced at.

Advanced Taster

Re: "Texas Made" Bourbon 1835

My Specs was promoting this (hard!) last weekend. They were even getting out samples. I didn't enjoy it. Tasted young and uninteresting.

Virtuoso

Ugh. This just makes me sick. They want to invoke Texas "pride" and "independence" yet the product obviously represents the exact opposite.

Lewisville is only 15 minutes from me, maybe I'll just show up. With dogs.

Virtuoso

How do these people sleep at night?

How is it even legal to put something like "Texas Made" on your bottle when it couldn't be further from the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightNoChaser View Post
    How is it even legal to put something like "Texas Made" on your bottle when it couldn't be further from the truth.
    Well, I question if it is legal. "The label is in any way misleading or deceptive as to the actual State ofdistillation" - http://www.ttb.gov/spirits/bam.shtml - Ch1. section 14

But I'm already involved in one quest, so would love if you took this over with your dogs!

FYI - I did email to the email in COLA filing asking if fermented or distilled in TX. No response back so far.

Virtuoso
    Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    OK, stopped by Specs last Thursday and they were promoting a new "Texas" Bourbon. I follow the craft movement pretty well here in Texas and never heard of this product. It's called 1835 Bourbon Whiskey. No age statement, so assuming it's at least 4 years old for $27. I'm 99.99% sure this was not distilled in the State of Texas, but bottle states "Texas Made". You can see the COLA info and label
    They're not calling it a straight bourbon, so it isn't likely to be a day over two years old, though probably younger.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Virtuoso

Well, I question if it is legal. "The label is in any way misleading or deceptive as to the actual State ofdistillation" - http://www.ttb.gov/spirits/bam.shtml - Ch1. section 14

But I'm already involved in one quest, so would love if you took this over with your dogs!

FYI - I did email to the email in COLA filing asking if fermented or distilled in TX. No response back so far.
    I actually made an inquiry with the TTB about why they don't seem to be enforcing the rule that a whiskey label must show the state of distillation (based on other bottles I've seen). I've not heard back from them yet.

That being said, how do you know this isn't Texas made. There are a fair number of distilleries in Texas these days. Couldn't it be something distilled by Garrison's or one of the other micros?
    Last edited by sku; 09-03-2012 at 06:56.

Virtuoso

If it were made in Texas I suspect the label would say "Texas Bourbon"

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    They're not calling it a straight bourbon, so it isn't likely to be a day over two years old, though probably younger.
    Someone set me straight. I'm reading Ch. 8 of the TTB on Age Statements, and it's look to me if under 4 years, an age statement is required. This applies to both Bourbon and Straight Bourbon. That is why I said this has to be at least 4 years old.

Connoisseur

What is your current quest?