Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: "Texas Made" Bourbon 1835

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    Someone set me straight. I'm reading Ch. 8 of the TTB on Age Statements, and it's look to me if under 4 years, an age statement is required. This applies to both Bourbon and Straight Bourbon. That is why I said this has to be at least 4 years old.
    I concur.

Although TTB's workload has grown significantly, they haven't been able to add people, so they're very pressed and making mistakes. They rely on voluntary compliance, which indirectly means they rely on competitors and the public to tell them when they get something wrong. I have an article about this in the next issue of Whisky Advocate, which probably won't appear until November or so.

Advanced Taster

The cached version of the website says:

North Texas Distillers is a micro distillery that hand makes small batches from scratch. The raw ingredients for most of the brands created is a combination of Texas wheat and rye that is purchased from local farmers. The distillery operates two stills named Izzy and Calvin which use a vacuum system to create a smoother and cleaner final product. A small lab allows the Master Distiller to constantly fine tune the formula in an effort to make each batch smoother and better. This operation is focused on quality over quantity, requiring each employee to spend more time and detail on each step of the process.

Visitors experiencing a tour will first find an old western saloon atmosphere in the lobby. When entering the distillery the stills and fermentation tanks demand attention with their stainless steel finish and size. Each fermentor and still has a name printed on the front after family members of the founder and employees. This touch adds a little personality and self pride during the creation of each batch.

Along the entire tour one will see Texas flags hanging from the ceiling and walls. Each flag has flown over the state of Texas at some point in history and represents dedication and perseverance. Next on the tour is the bottling room which has employees signing the batch # and their names on each cork band placed on the bottles. By the exit, displayed on a wall between two flags is a hanging white blanket. Each person visiting the distillery is required to sign the blanket, the blankets are taken down each year and hung around the room's perimeter to display the individuals that have taken the time to visit our operation and who are now considered friends and ambassadors. Finally, on the way out a picture is taken with visitors wearing cowboy hats and vests while sampling DeLos Vodka, Lome Star Vodka and several others. The distillery not only offers a tour but an experience in personal pride and dedication to creating and packaging each brand

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by redbear View Post
    The cached version of the website says
    That's pretty similar to the language on their vodka website - http://www.delosvodka.com/about.html

From what I can tell about the Vodka - it was launched in Summer of 2009. If they stated distilling around then, no way would they have 4 year old bourbon ready for sale.

Virtuoso

I was always under the impression this only applied to straight bourbon aged less than 4 years. I could be wrong, I'll check my notes

Advanced Taster

The flavor description on the label is not at all what I tasted. It has a sweet start, but it didn't deliver much after that. Young, and thin flavor.

Virtuoso

I have the day off Saturday, maybe I'll just roll over there any knock on the door

Advanced Taster

Page 8-13 sure makes it clear.
    http://www.ttb.gov/spirits/bam/chapter8.pdf

CLASS/TYPE: WHISKY (BOURBON)

IS A SPECIFIC STATEMENT OF AGE ALLOWED?

YES - A specific statement of age is REQUIRED if the bourbon whisky is less than 4 years old

Advanced Taster

The age requirement is only for Straight Whiskey. Not for Whiskey. I
    Last edited by Leopold; 09-04-2012 at 10:41.

Enthusiast

I have it on good authority (from Specs - who is featuring this expression, so they have to push it) that this is Kentucky bourbon with Texas water added. They blend it here with water (no GNS, however) and claim it to be a "Texas product" because they "mixed it" here... The whiskey is 100% from Kentucky.

Not to be too blunt, but they are liars - just as the TX from F&R is a scam.

It's as "Texas" as Texas Crown (Canadian Whisky!) is....

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold View Post
    The age requirement is only for Straight Whiskey. Not for Whiskey. I
    I'm no expert, for sure. However, the document spells out straight bourbon separately.
    CLASS/TYPE: WHISKY (STRAIGHT BOURBON)

IS A SPECIFIC STATEMENT OF AGE ALLOWED?
    YES - A specific statement of age is REQUIRED if the straight bourbon whisky is less than 4 years old

Now, this doesn't mean the TTB got it right in the document. However, the document clearly states that an age statement is required for both bourbon whiskey (which the 1835 is) and straight bourbon whiskey (when less than 4 years old).
    Last edited by redbear; 09-04-2012 at 11:48.