Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Re: "Texas Made" Bourbon 1835

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold View Post
    The age requirement is only for Straight Whiskey. Not for Whiskey. I
    We traded a PM about this. The TTB BAM is a guideline, not the actually law. For the law, look at CFR, section 27. I read CFR section 27, 5.40 section d and still think an age statement is required.

Also 5.36 section d implies the State of Distillation shall be shown on the label.

Advanced Taster

It may not be the law, but if they are the ones approving the labels... should they not be following their own guidelines? Crazy time!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by redbear View Post
    My Specs was promoting this (hard!) last weekend. They were even getting out samples. I didn't enjoy it. Tasted young and uninteresting.
    They were at it again when I went there today. I tried it and it was especially rough on the finish. I asked if they knew how old it was and the lady said she wasn't sure but she thought that bourbon only had to be aged 3 years without needing an age statement. I'm sure they'll sell a ton of it though because it's "from" Texas.

Apprentice

Apparently this just picked up a double gold in SF.

Guru

Nobody's taste is as good as mine . It seems like every bourbon out there that's more than $20 has won something there.

Advanced Taster

My curiosity piqued, I started poking around some more. Looking at the COLA, they list DSP-TX-15017. I did some searching around and found this list of DSPs published by the TTB: http://www.ttb.gov/foia/xls/frl-spir...d-bottlers.htm

TX-15017 is listed as Ranger Creek brewing. Ranger Creek is in San Antonio, not Lewisville. They do make their own whiskey. http://www.drinkrangercreek.com/whiskey/

Anyone want to hazard a guess on what the relationship is between North Texas Distillers (who aren't on the DSP listing at all) and Ranger Creek?

Fred Minnick's article says the trademarks indicate that the distiller is the Quentin D Witherspoon distillery. That is on the DSP list as TX-S-20009.

Advanced Taster

Looks like I can't let this one go.

I emailed the Secretary of State for information on the LLC. I'll leave out the personal contact info, but here is the general LLC information:

Name: North Texas Distillers, LLC
    Filing Number: 801010086
    Entity Type: Domestic Limited Liability Company (LLC)
    Original Date of Filing: July 29, 2008
    Entity Status: In existence
    Formation Date: N/A
    Tax ID: 32037625640
    FEIN:
    Duration: Perpetual

Address: 845 N MILL ST STE 100
    LEWISVILLE, TX 75057-3170 USA

They filed as an LLC in July of 2008. So, theoretically, they could have 4 year old whiskey in the bottle. The COLA was filed in march of 2012, which was previous to July of 2012.

My curiosity piqued, I started poking around some more. Looking at the COLA, they list DSP-TX-15017. I did some searching around and found this list of DSPs published by the TTB: http://www.ttb.gov/foia/xls/frl-spir...d-bottlers.htm

TX-15017 is listed as Ranger Creek brewing. Ranger Creek is in San Antonio, not Lewisville. They do make their own whiskey. http://www.drinkrangercreek.com/whiskey/

Anyone want to hazard a guess on what the relationship is between North Texas Distillers (who aren't on the DSP listing at all) and Ranger Creek?

Fred Minnick's article says the trademarks indicate that the distiller is the Quentin D Witherspoon distillery. That is on the DSP list as TX-S-20009.
    I'm pretty sure Ranger Creek's DSP is TX-15024.

Disciple

"Texas Made" Bourbon 1835

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    I'm pretty sure Ranger Creek's DSP is TX-15024.
    It's from the list at ttb.gov that he linked. 15024 is listed as Yellow Rose Distilling. But look at the DSP-KY numbers on the same list... Not the ones we are familiar with.
    Jim

OK, I looked at that list and I will tell it's flat out wrong. Example Balcones is TX-15018 and this list has it as 15011.