Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: "Texas Made" Bourbon 1835

Hi, all, this is my very first post about here. It appears my bourbon was off by one digit. 1836 bourbon is trademarked the Quentin D Witherspoon. http://www.trademarkia.com/1836-whis...-85448405.html

1835 is indeed trademarked by North Texas.

I will make correction on my site. Thanks, fellas.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by fminnick View Post
    Hi, all, this is my very first post about here. It appears my bourbon was off by one digit. 1836 bourbon is trademarked the Quentin D Witherspoon. http://www.trademarkia.com/1836-whis...-85448405.html

1835 is indeed trademarked by North Texas.

I will make correction on my site. Thanks, fellas.
    and what is your site?

Novice

Too young of a bourbon IMHO. Should have aged it the few extra years. I'll stick to "Kentucky Tea"

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    and what is your site?
    He was referring to the caption for the last image in this article: http://fredminnick.com/the-inside-st...s-competition/

Apprentice

Fairly recent lurker, first time poster.

I'm a bit confused on how to perceive 1835 Bourbon. It seems to encapsulate so many of the themes I've seen discussed here and on other bourbon sites:

- Sourced vs. distilled at location -- Seems that this is clearly sourced, but I can't say I'm offended by it. Many sourced bourbons are well regarded. I'm happy with my Jefferson's Reserve.

- Real Texas vs. Texas-washing -- Having spent nearly 35 years in Central Texas, I can say I take pride in my state. I love the Longhorns, but I don't walk around wearing boots and a Texas flag. That said, I appreciate that it is bottled in Texas. Would I like it more if it were distilled here? Sure. Is it dishonest? Maybe a bit, but after reading Mike Veach's book, I choose to take it as "history by marketing."

- Crappy vs. good drink -- I saw this at my local Spec's before I started my bourbon journey a few months back. I turned down a sample offering that day. Then I started drinking and researching bourbons and felt validated in my refusal after seeing the reviews here and elsewhere. But then I saw Mr. Minnick's recap of SF World Spirits Competition. At the bottom is clearly a pic of 1835. Based on this write up, I quickly picked up a bottle.

Granted my exposure to bourbons hasn't been very long, but it has been very intense. I've done blind taste tests at home with 12+ bottles. I keep copious notes. I know what I like (I'm a fan of sweeter bourbons; Rock Hill Farms is my #1; Weller 12 is my favorite value bourbon; I hated my flask of Knob Creek Small Batch). And I quite liked 1835. It handily beat Four Roses Small Batch in my blind test. It didn't beat RHF, but was more than respectable.

I find it odd that the variance is so high. It's either crap or Top 3 or 5. How can it be so wide a gap?

- Personal preference vs. group mentality -- I'm curious to see how perception of 1835 changes based on the SF recap. Maybe it won't because I don't see any promotion of the recap by the makers of 1835. If Mr. Minnick's spark doesn't catch fire, then the existing negative perceptions will remain. I look forward to more taste comparisons to see if 1835 holds up for me over time. Maybe my palate isn't developed enough. Maybe the SF panel just went crazy that weekend. Maybe the reviewers to date have been too harsh.

--------

I'd love to hear thoughts from the forum.

Guru

Hello michang5, welcome aboard. No perceptions on my part, I just drink what I like. I am not however tempted by mystery whiskys of undisclosed provenance.

Apprentice

To close the feedback loop... My impressions of 1835 has soured significantly. I've started experiencing a mid-palate "shiver" whenever I try this neat. I notice it when mixed in Old Fashioneds, too. I won't be getting this again. No matter how much discounting Spec's does.

Quote Originally Posted by michang5 View Post
    To close the feedback loop... My impressions of 1835 has soured significantly. I've started experiencing a mid-palate "shiver" whenever I try this neat. I notice it when mixed in Old Fashioneds, too. I won't be getting this again. No matter how much discounting Spec's does.
    Thanks for the update. I've contacted them twice in hopes of learning more about the whiskey, but I've not heard anything. I'll be sure to post an update as soon as I learn more about 1835.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by fminnick View Post
    Thanks for the update. I've contacted them twice in hopes of learning more about the whiskey, but I've not heard anything. I'll be sure to post an update as soon as I learn more about 1835.
    I live 20 minutes from their "distillery"

Shall I go make a visit?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Balcones Winston View Post
    I live 20 minutes from their "distillery"

Shall I go make a visit?
    I'll go with you - I've asked them about a visit before at a few local "Texas tastings" and they've been amenable to it - just not sure what they have there to actually see!

Nice enough guys even if they don't actually "make" anything.

At least they aren't like the Red River guy who patently lied to my face (and on their bottle) about their product!