Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Apprentice

Re: "Texas Made" Bourbon 1835

Sorry to dredge up an old post...

I read through this thread and smiled. You guys dug in on the 1835 "Texas" whiskey pretty hard. Earlier this year, I had to call the local Spec's staff out on it. Everytime I walked down the whiskey isle, I was asked by an employee (more often the same guy) if I had tried the new 1835. I finally asked why could I not stand in this isle without being asked about the 1835. I asked him where it was distilled. I pointed at real KY bourbons and told them where they were distilled. I even told him where the Garrison and Balcones was distilled. Now when he sees me, he just says "Hi!" and we shake hands. I know the staff is just doing their job. What bothers me is when I see people asking for help on selecting their first bourbon and the 1835 is what is put in there hands.

....and I guess I was a little bothered that as a customer that visited the store weekly (sometimes twice a week) the same clerk put more effort into pushing the 1835 on me vs. recognizing me as a repeat customer that has told him no several times.
    Last edited by buoy37; 12-11-2013 at 20:51.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by buoy37 View Post
    Sorry to dredge up an old post...

I read through this thread and smiled. You guys dug in on the 1835 "Texas" whiskey pretty hard. Earlier this year, I had to call the local Spec's staff out on it. Everytime I walked down the whiskey isle, I was asked by an employee (more often the same guy) if I had tried the new 1835. I finally asked why could I not stand in this isle without being asked about the 1835. I asked him where it was distilled. I pointed at real KY bourbons and told them where they were distilled. I even told him where the Garrison and Balcones was distilled. Now when he sees me, he just says "Hi!" and we shake hands. I know the staff is just doing their job. What bothers me is when I see people asking for help on selecting their first bourbon and the 1835 is what is put in there hands.

....and I guess I was a little bothered that as a customer that visited the store weekly (sometimes twice a week) the same clerk put more effort into pushing the 1835 on me vs. recognizing me as a repeat customer that has told him no several times.
    This is also a Specs "house" brand. What I mean by that is Specs and wholesaler (Texas is 3 tier state) have a very friendly (and IMHO possible illegal) relationship, where this brand is practically sold exclusive in Specs. They probably pay their sales people on commission to push this brand.

Guru

That explains a lot.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Novice

I was gifted a bottle of 1835 last year around this time. I have family members that are quite proud of their Texas roots. I can't say that I blame them. But after we all shared a pour of this "bourbon", they considered becoming Mississippians.

I can't say I blame them for that either.

Taster

I have to weigh in here - traveling in Houston this week and a Specs showed up on the service road, went it, not a great selection, I was about to pick up an ER10 when they started pushing 1835. I relented, for $25 it was worth a try. I took it back to hotel to share with my travel group. Overall I have to say we enjoyed it. A high rye, spicy in flavor and relatively smooth. I've tasted much much worse. I've been known to throw bottles I don't like down the sink or use them for fire starter. After reading all this post I have to suggest it is an LDI juice with a Texas label.

Guru

LDI/MGP makes a decent grade Bourbon but I would've chosen Evan Williams or Jim Beam at half the price. I mention those because they are usually available in limited stock stores.

I was in Houston this past week on a business trip, and was staying across the street from a Spec's. I was talked into a bottle of 1835. Why they call this "bourbon," I have no idea. I've always been skeptical about anything labeled bourbon that isn't made in KY, but I was overly unimpressed with this stuff. I found it to be horribly sweet with something else in there that I couldn't place, real heavy cheap liquor smell to it, and a weak finish. Now, I normally drink Bulleit, Knob Creek, and recently got into Maker's, and from the description I got of 1835, I was really supposed to like it. Overall, I'd only call it ok, maybe on par with Beam white label.

I didnt even even bother bringing the bottle home.

Guru

Chalk it up to experience Jp, I won't buy a bottle of Bourbon unless I know enough about it to make an informed choice, starting with who made it.

Virtuoso

Strange, I go into Spec's often, and they never tried to push the 1835 off onto me.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by gblick View Post
    Strange, I go into Spec's often, and they never tried to push the 1835 off onto me.
    Have you ever asked for help finding a bottle of bourbon at Specs? and not I'm looking for xyz specific bottle, just I'm looking for a bourbon?