Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Enthusiast

Ten High Straight Bourbon Whiskey

Visited a liquor monger in WV today, and they had Ten High Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey in 750 mL. It didn't have the "a blend" moniker on the label. Has Sazerac started shipping a straight bourbon expression of High Ten again?
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd

Disciple

Re: Ten High Straight Bourbon Whiskey

Looks that way: http://www.bartonbrands.com/tenhigh.html. I bought a bottle of Ten High right before it became a blend and I don't remember much except that it was thin and finishing the bottle was a chore. I wonder how good the juice in the new KSBW version is? In any case it's nice to see that they have sufficient stocks to make it a bourbon again, and it's nice to see someone make a brand better instead of worse.

This is one of two Barton expressions available in Utah. I'll pay attention and when it switches to a bourbon again, I'll give it a try. It's cheap, why not?
    Last edited by HighInTheMtns; 09-01-2012 at 19:01.

Advanced Taster

Last time I checked, not so great. It's pretty much the cheapest KSBW money can buy, and while it's not absolutely undrinkable straight, I can't imagine doing anything with it other than putting it in Coke.

*And that's coming from me, the cheapest bourbon drinker in the world.
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Connoisseur

I am pretty sure nothing has changed. From what I understand, they kept it straight in some states. Control states, where it is hard to change stuff up. I always liked it for an everyday bourbon.

Guru

The only non-blended TH that I've ever seen around here is the older bottles of Ten High Ten which are definitely worth your while if you ever come across one.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    The only non-blended TH that I've ever seen around here is the older bottles of Ten High Ten which are definitely worth your while if you ever come across one.
    So many of those tax stripped ones in DC. Sku didn't like it, so I've just passed them up, but if you say differently, I guess I might as well try it out.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    So many of those tax stripped ones in DC. Sku didn't like it, so I've just passed them up, but if you say differently, I guess I might as well try it out.
    I wouldn't expect some kickass hidden gem but for under $20 you'd be picking up a thoroughly decent whiskey. And keep in mind that Ten High Ten was one of the earlier attempts at marketing a "premium" whiskey, complete with the fancy tin packaging and cool contoured bottle. Have the ones you've seen come in the tin?
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Disciple

I'll second Unclebunk. Dusty Ten high 10yr is might tasty.

Guru

It was a quality presentation alright, also a lesson in why some whiskies just aren't meant for long aging. My recollection is Ten High Ten was an overly woody whisky past it's prime.

Virtuoso

But some of us prefer a woody

whiskey
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz