Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Ten High Straight Bourbon Whiskey

I grabbed four or five of those THT tins a few years back for $15 a piece or so and was really pleased with my find. Nice packaging too!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

At one time Ten High was the best selling bourbon in Iowa as it was most used well bourbon in bars.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Advanced Taster

I picked up a Ten High Straight after reading this thread. I really enjoyed the woody taste of it. I'd buy another after I finish if I can find it. I see mostly blended when I see Ten High on the shelf.

Connoisseur

I saw a few bottles of the dusty Peoria, IL, version, but at $15 I passed and chose the lone Early Times tax stripped ($8).

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by CoMobourbon View Post
    Last time I checked, not so great. It's pretty much the cheapest KSBW money can buy, and while it's not absolutely undrinkable straight, I can't imagine doing anything with it other than putting it in Coke.

*And that's coming from me, the cheapest bourbon drinker in the world.
    Hmm, it looks like SB.com may have a new cheapest bourbon drinker in the world. Read on...

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    The regular Ten High is a Straight Bourbon here and a very good value that I wouldn't hesitate to use or serve to guests.
    Even if I weren't already a Ten High straight fan, this endorsement would be good enough for me to buy a bottle (if it were available where I live).

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Here in Illinois, where Ten High began, it's still a straight bourbon, and still a great value at $11/750.
    Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Agreed. When I put it in a decanter once just to see what people would think of it, my friends drank it straight away and were happy with it. Had I pulled out a bottle of it to serve, their reaction would have been different. Crazy!

It really is an excellent value for $11 and sits comfortably next to VOB, though I still tend to go for the latter when given the choice.
    $11.00 is outrageous, here it's closer to $8.39.
    It used to be a hair under $7.50 for a 750 of it in MI, and $17.48 for a handle (and I understand you can still get Ten High straight in many places in MI that aren't Kalamazoo). The next step down was Old Croak and Mattingly & Moore, neither of which are worth the spare lint in your pocket. The next step up was Ezra Brooks, which goes for $25 for a handle. Ten High straight was by far the best deal around if you wanted a decent bourbon for a great price.

Quote Originally Posted by trumpstylz View Post
    Yeah, i think it gets a bad rap. It's not something you wanna swirl in a glencarin, but its great to have on hand at parties sitting next to some coke and a bucket of ice.
    That was the strength of Ten High straight - there was nothing WRONG with it. Sure, it was a little young, had some rough edges, and wasn't very complex, but it was only $17.48 for a handle! I drank it in mixes, in cocktails, on ice, and even neat, and I was always pleased with the value......... until they turned it into a 'bourbon blend'. That was a sad day.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Guru

I still have a 3/4 full liter bottle somewhere in the back of the cabinet that is probably at least 20 years old and was my cocktail mixing bourbon at that time. I guess I need to pull it out, dust it off and see if it is still any good!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Apprentice

wait...sorry to derail things but...I live in St. Louis right on the border with Illinois. I like Barton Juice a lot. So the question is...

Ten High is not a blend but a straight whiskey in Illinois? True or false...cuz if it is i'm headed east to check some out.

Guru

I've been in stores where it was both so read the label carefully.

Enthusiast

I've been in stores where it was both so read the label carefully.
    Same here in WV ... I find both here, although the "blend" is much more prevalent.
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I believe it's supposed to be straight bourbon in Illinois, and Missouri distributors can't legally sell to Illinois retailers, but shit happens. Always check the labels.

Sazerac seems to really be burying Ten High. They're either getting ready to sell it or degrade it further.