Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Ten High Straight Bourbon Whiskey

That would be a shame really. I would rather see the brand discontinued over debasement.

Advanced Taster

On his blog today Chuck notes that Sazerac does not show Ten High on its redesigned website, a little more fuel to the idea that they're planning to get rid of it one way or the other.
    Would anyone WANT to buy a bottom shelf brand?
    If they are planning to shutter it, I'm not taking it sitting down. A great old name deserves better. I'm going to start a Ten High Ambassadors program, eventually rallying 13 drunks outside BT's Frankfort offices chanting "we shall overcome."
    Nothing is over until we decide it is!
    (Trying to figure out a way to use Liam Neeson's "I will look for you. I will find you and I will kill you" Taken line but then this all starts to seem a little ridiculous since no one in their right mind can seriously imagine 13 drunk SB members sauntering across the Kentucky bluegrass looking for, finding, and harming anyone but themselves, not to mention whomever from BT plays Marco from Tropoja in this farce.)
    Mark

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I don't know what's up with Ten High. I could ask, but where would be the fun in that?

Ten High was once a huge brand and I thought it still had a pretty good following, even though they're obviously all cheap ass m***erf***ers, but maybe they all finally died off or switched to Imperial, which was Ten High's blended whiskey counterpart historically.

Guru

Nah, just switched to grand mothers.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I don't know what's up with Ten High. I could ask, but where would be the fun in that?

Ten High was once a huge brand and I thought it still had a pretty good following, even though they're obviously all cheap ass m***erf***ers, but maybe they all finally died off or switched to Imperial, which was Ten High's blended whiskey counterpart historically.
    Ten High was/is related to Imperial?!
    That just ruined my day.
    Mark

Enthusiast

Mark, I'll come with you.

Col. Cowdery, there was a reason us "cheap ass m***erf***ers" (no offense taken) paid the extra $3.49 for a handle of Ten High straight over a handle of Imperial: taste, believe it or not. Now we're left wondering what to drink, because blends suck, and it was the only acceptable bourbon in its price bracket. The next best deal in MI seems to be Ezra Brooks 90 proof, but at $24.99/1.75L, that's 43% more than we were used to paying for budget bourbon.

Ten High may not be on the GreatBourbon.com site anymore, but it's still on Sazerac.com. I've also seen a couple COLAs of new labels that look nothing like any previous Ten High label.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNovaMan View Post
    Col. Cowdery, there was a reason us "cheap ass m***erf***ers" (no offense taken) ...
    None intended.

Both Imperial and Ten High were Hiram Walker brands. Ten High was made exclusively at the Hiram Walker Distillery in Peoria, Illinois. Imperial was made there, as an American blend, and at Walkerville as a Canadian blend. The whiskey portion of the American Imperial would have been Ten High. That's the connection.

Connoisseur

In the movie Ed Wood, Johnny Depp drinks Imperial as his regular pour.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    In the movie Ed Wood, Johnny Depp drinks Imperial as his regular pour.
    I'm not familiar with the movie Ed Wood, but if it has a singular memorable line please tailor it for our March on Frankfort, and invite Johnny if you want to.
    Hoping the new label means survival for Ten High, coincidence that its possible near-resurrection occurs near Easter? Just saying.
    Last edited by mark fleetwood; 04-05-2013 at 10:42.
    Mark

I got a note from Mark Brown indicating that they're revisiting the Great Bourbon list to see if Ten High should be on it or not. No talk about the brand's departure or demise.

If you want to start a movement, start one to bring it back to Illinois.