Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

BOTM 9/12: Evan Williams BIB AND Heaven Hill BIB

Sorry I'm a little late again. Better late than never I guess.

I'm gonna go with a twofer this month. Two for the price of one. Evan Williams BIB and HH BIB. Once again I realized that there's been some discussion of these on the boards lately, so I thought why not. I know there are a couple versions of the HH BIB, so post your thoughts on either/or both. As we tend to say around here sometimes, " It's all good."

My thoughts: Next to wheaters, I really like a lot of the BIB's that are (still) available. I've had EW BIB, and the white label HH BIB. Nothing fancy, or anything to make your heart skip a beat or anything, just pretty darned good bourbons at really decent prices. IMHO, a couple of great value pours.

That's it. Short and sweet this month. Let's hear what y'all think. Cheers, have fun, and see some of y'all in Bardstown next week. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Disciple

Re: BOTM 9/12: Evan Williams BIB AND Heaven Hill BIB

I really like this months choices,though I have never had the EW BIB due to regional distribution of this product .I have had the gold and black label HH BIB and there is not a greater value pour out there IMO.I ended up picking up quite a few of them in KY for friends,they just can't be beat for $9 and $10 respectively.I will take HH BIB over VOB any day!

Connoisseur

I haven't gotten to try much HH bonded whiskey, but I really enjoyed the aHHBIB6 and a JTS Brown a year or so ago (I know everyone assumes OldEzra101 is basically HH Bonded, but we can't be sure, so I won't count that). I wish I had some on hand so as to give some notes, but I remember it being caramel corny, strong and sweet.

I'm making a trip to the Bourbon Trail in November, and I have two things in my sites: specialty bottles from the 4Roses gift shop, and about a case of various HH Bondeds (which I have never seen in NY; the closest we get is Fighting Cock)

I'd love to hear comparisons between these two bourbons for people that have both on hand. There's a thread or two comparing HH Bondeds somewhere but I'd love a current take.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

I have had both the HH BIB and and the EW BIB and I like them both. I have told people that I think that Noah Mills is EW BIB at BP only Drew knows and I'm sure he's not going to chime in here and tell us.

Ryan Like I told you in chat remind me when the Iowa City get together gets near remind me and I will bring a EW BIB with me for you to try.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Enthusiast

HH 6Y0 BIB and VOB BIB ... tow of my everyday pours ... and I love slipping them blind to my friends and acquaintances. Unfortunately, I have not been able to snag a bottle of EW BIB.
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd

I was wrong in my original post. I thought that I had a bottle of the White label HH BIB at one time. I was looking though my bourbon pics trying to find a pic of Ten High Ten, and there was a pic of the 6yr black and gold label HH BIB. Must have been the white label 80 or 86 proofer I thought was a BIB.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Virtuoso

The Gold Label is a staple in my house. I've never seen the 6 y/o around here.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Connoisseur

I like the Heaven Hill 6 year BiB. It started out with a bit of new wood, sweet HH corn, and some rye, and changed over the course of a few months to include big cherry notes.

I hid the rest of my bottle somewhere (now unknown) in our storage unit, as an incentive to reorganize that thing.

Taster

How odd that I should come across this...I'm having a little EW BIB now. Good stuff, unfortunately can't get it in MD, but VA isn't too far. My first bourbon actually, after seeing it recommended on here. Still a favorite.

Strong and nutty with caramel and vanilla. Something else too that I can't quite put a finger on. Spicy. Maybe oak. Not really much of a taster, I just know what I like.
    "They say some of my stars drink whiskey. But I have found that the ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games." - Casey Stengal

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    Sorry I'm a little late again. Better late than never I guess.

I'm gonna go with a twofer this month. Two for the price of one. Evan Williams BIB and HH BIB. Once again I realized that there's been some discussion of these on the boards lately, so I thought why not. I know there are a couple versions of the HH BIB, so post your thoughts on either/or both. As we tend to say around here sometimes, " It's all good."

My thoughts: Next to wheaters, I really like a lot of the BIB's that are (still) available. I've had EW BIB, and the white label HH BIB. Nothing fancy, or anything to make your heart skip a beat or anything, just pretty darned good bourbons at really decent prices. IMHO, a couple of great value pours.

That's it. Short and sweet this month. Let's hear what y'all think. Cheers, have fun, and see some of y'all in Bardstown next week. Joe
    I'm new so sort of an apprentice though have been collecting and enjoying straight whiskies for a great many years. I'm a little caught up on the abbreviations. I get EW as Evan Williams and HH as possibly Heaven Hill but is BIB bottled in bond?