Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

BOTM 3/13: George Dickel Rye.

There was a lot of discussion about this in the rye forum, so I figured why not. It was also suggested to me by another member who was trying to help me out. And you all know, I can use all the help I can get. So the BOTM for this month is Dickel Rye. Tennessee Rye. Well, MGPI, LDI, ABC, or XYZ rye, finished with the Lincoln County process. Whatever.

Pretty much all I know about this is what's been posted here, so not much commentary from me again this month. (Okay, that's enough cheering. Sit down now. ) I will say that I have seen it around here in the liquor department of my local grocery store chain. These stores normally don't mess around with their inventory much, so it was a little bit of a surprise for me the first time I saw it. The price was okay too. $23.99, which for these stores is pretty decent. In conclusion, here's a rye that appears to be readily available, that's being sold at a fairly decent price, and also one that most folks think tastes pretty good. As has been mentioned, sounds like a value pour to me.

So, what say ye? What tickles your Dickel? Let's hear your thought about George Dickel Rye.

Cheers! Joe
    Last edited by fishnbowljoe; 03-03-2013 at 19:28.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Disciple

Re: BOTM 3/13: George Dickel Rye.

I will have to say I do enjoy the Dickel Rye quite a bit and really think the charcoal filtering does something to the profile that is quite agreeable.I do think that a good product released from a fairly major player in the game at a great price is getting fewer and far between every day,so Dickel well done.I enjoy the smoother softer profile of this rye as a nice change of pace and 90 proof really seems to work well and at around $20,it will find itself in my group of opens time and time again.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Guru

Seems to touch all the bases, looking to see how well this one is received.

Forgot to sticky this. Posting to bump it up.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Larceny is another good example of a premium product from a major producer, like Dickel Rye, that isn't aiming for the fences, price-wise, and I agree that Dickel (and Heaven Hill) should be praised for remembering who brung 'em, people who consume a fair amount of whiskey and so are always looking for value. Dickel Rye has value and it has flavor, and it has 'Dickelness,' with the filtering. Unfortunately, it probably will miss out on some press precisely because it is modestly priced and the hoity-toity types will consider it too pedestrian. If the people who claim to primarily like rye aren't all over this, there's something wrong with them.

Guru

Very true, I can't manage to be hoity-toity and cheap at the same time, well, life has it's little disappointments.

Way too minty for me

Guru

Just happened to pick up a bottle today, along with a bottle of Bulleit Rye. Looking forward to sampling these tonight. These are both affordable whiskeys (I paid $22 for the Dickel and $28 for the Bulleit) and I'm happy to see new ryes on the market in this price bracket.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Just happened to pick up a bottle today, along with a bottle of Bulleit Rye. Looking forward to sampling these tonight. These are both affordable whiskeys (I paid $22 for the Dickel and $28 for the Bulleit) and I'm happy to see new ryes on the market in this price bracket.
    Haven't seen it in Houston yet, but have not been to Downtown Spec's lately. I sure intend to try it as I love Bulleit and Willet LDI ryes

Enthusiast

Bought a bottle last week. Enjoyed it over a couple of days. Very easy to drink, in fact it may go down too easy. Paid less than $23 for the bottle. Have not yet tried it in a Manhattan yet, maybe this weekend. Best to drink neat, ice or water would tend to dilute it too much. Sweet and modestly spicy flavor profile. Will buy another bottle after this one is gone.