Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Apprentice

It takes a village of drinkers.

Please offer some suggestions on a few Canadian whiskies for some moderately experienced palates. $20-30 range is the goal, but nothing over $50 bucks. USA avalibilty.

Thanks boys (and gals, all 5 of you)

Connoisseur

Re: It takes a village of drinkers.

I'd say anything from Forty Creek.
    Mark

Advanced Taster

I agree with sutton. Forty Creek is an excellent Canadian distillery. Their Barrel Select is a good entry-level whisky, but their higher-end releases (Confederation Oak Reserve, John's Private Cask, Port Wood Reserve) are especially great.

Alberta Premium is also an excellent Canadian whisky to start with (especially to compare with the Forty Reek Barrel Select), and Wiser's Legacy is a superb "premium" offering.

You might want to check here for a number of reviews from an excellent source, Davin de Kergommeaux.
    "Good" may be subjective, but that doesn't mean it's arbitrary.

Connoisseur

I have enjoyed the couple of bottles of Crown Royal Lot 16 that I've had. It'd pretty sweet (aged in cognac barrels) but I think it's interesting and fun. The problem with that offering is the variability in price. I've seen it for $29 and I have seen it for $129. For the former price, I believe it is worth it. For the latter, I would pass.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dbk View Post
    I agree with sutton. Forty Creek is an excellent Canadian distillery. Their Barrel Select is a good entry-level whisky, but their higher-end releases (Confederation Oak Reserve, John's Private Cask, Port Wood Reserve) are especially great.

Alberta Premium is also an excellent Canadian whisky to start with (especially to compare with the Forty Reek Barrel Select), and Wiser's Legacy is a superb "premium" offering.

You might want to check here for a number of reviews from an excellent source, Davin de Kergommeaux.
    Thanks for the info. My bottle of Forty Creek went over very well at a dinner party not long ago and you can't beat the price.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Advanced Taster

Agreed! I think that Forty Creek Barrel Select and Alberta Premium—which you should definitely try for the sake of contrast with the Forty Creek—are two of the best value pours in whisky. Forty Creek has also launched a new pour, Copper Pot Reserve, positioned just above the Barrel Select. From the sounds of it, it should be pretty good stuff.
    "Good" may be subjective, but that doesn't mean it's arbitrary.

Apprentice

Thanks all, good start.

Advanced Taster

I enjoy Forty Creek and Canadian Club 12 a lot.

My son likes Canadian whiskies, and they're what I cut my teeth on many a year ago. I still enjoy them from time to time. Currently open on my cabinet for my son/me are; Canadian Mist Black Diamond, Crown Royal, Canadian Club and Gibson's 12 Year Old. All are pretty good except for the regular CC. It's just so-so. I've also had and liked Forty Creek Barrel Select, Crown Royal Black, Crown Royal Cask 16 and Crown Royal SR. Some time ago, many of the liquor stores in my area were blowing out Cask 16 at half price. It was normally around $100, and they were on sale for $49.99 at most places. I guess the distributors had an incentive going on. A free case of Cask 16 for X number of cases of regular Crown Royal that were purchased. I bought a bottle for myself, and one for my son. I probably should have bought at least a couple of more. My son had a party not too long after I bought those bottles. His Cask 16 disappeared that night. My bottle disappeared shortly after that. The next time my son came over, my bottle went home with him. After all, what are father's for?
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

I'm not certain if this is the right place for my query, but (mods) feel free to move this if necessary. :-)

Have any of you tried Forty Creek Double Barrel Select? I saw it today but didn't feel like dropping money on something at this price point on a whim:

I've read some of the other threads (circa 2008) and couldn't garner much info from them:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...barrel+reserve

Thanks in advance!