Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Taster

Jefferson's Ocean - Bottle variation?

I just read David Driscoll's note on the whole Jefferson's Ocean fiasco with K&L, ending with a suggestion to go to eBay if you want to find one. Out of curiosity I went and saw that some of the bottles were darker in color, while some were lighter. The two I picked up from Binny's (not trying to brag) fell on the lighter side, so I'm wondering if anyone knows if there was variation in proof in bottling.

The web notes 88 proof across the board (going from memory as I type on my iPhone), so does anyone have one that says otherwise? Or doesn't note proof at all? I'm fairly certain mine state 88, but I'm too tired to go down to the bunker to confirm.

Cheers,
    Pete
    "I can resist everything except temptation" - Oscar Wilde

Connoisseur

Re: Jefferson's Ocean - Bottle variation?

Maybe some bottles got caught in high tide?

Disciple

Color variation doesn't necessarily correspond to proof variation.

I hope you like your Jefferson's Oceans. I like coastal Scotch a lot, may the sea character treat that bourbon well!

Enthusiast

Could also be the lighting/camera hitting the bottle differently.

Virtuoso
    Quote Originally Posted by compliance View Post
    Could also be the lighting/camera hitting the bottle differently.
    Most likely this

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by passthebourbon View Post
    I just read David Driscoll's note on the whole Jefferson's Ocean fiasco with K&L, ending with a suggestion to go to eBay if you want to find one. Out of curiosity I went and saw that some of the bottles were darker in color, while some were lighter. The two I picked up from Binny's (not trying to brag) fell on the lighter side, so I'm wondering if anyone knows if there was variation in proof in bottling.

The web notes 88 proof across the board (going from memory as I type on my iPhone), so does anyone have one that says otherwise? Or doesn't note proof at all? I'm fairly certain mine state 88, but I'm too tired to go down to the bunker to confirm.

Cheers,
    Pete
    Rumors seem to abound regarding this particular bourbon. I would love to get one but that seems highly unlikely. Altohugh I originally saw it being discussed at 88 proof the lone bottle that supposedly makes up the allocation at K&L (kinda wonder if ownership didn't end up with a bottle or two but perhaps not) appears to be down to 82.3 proof. First I heard 600 bottles would be produced and now I hear/read it is down to 250. I also was told from someone in the business that several barrels were damaged and some or all of the contents were lost because the metal rings rusted from exposure to the sea. Stainless steel anyone?

I have no idea what is in fact true. But for $200 or more (again only what I have read, don't know what the actual cost is. The bid on K&L is already over $300) it seems to be getting less and less appealing even if I did have a chance to buy one. But I probably would given the chance. Of course then I would want to drink it and the more expensive it gets the harder that would be to do!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Rumors seem to abound regarding this particular bourbon. I would love to get one but that seems highly unlikely. Altohugh I originally saw it being discussed at 88 proof the lone bottle that supposedly makes up the allocation at K&L (kinda wonder if ownership didn't end up with a bottle or two but perhaps not) appears to be down to 82.3 proof. First I heard 600 bottles would be produced and now I hear/read it is down to 250. I also was told from someone in the business that several barrels were damaged and some or all of the contents were lost because the metal rings rusted from exposure to the sea. Stainless steel anyone?

I have no idea what is in fact true. But for $200 or more (again only what I have read, don't know what the actual cost is. The bid on K&L is already over $300) it seems to be getting less and less appealing even if I did have a chance to buy one. But I probably would given the chance. Of course then I would want to drink it and the more expensive it gets the harder that would be to do!
    Do you have a link for this K&L bidding? Nevermind...I found it.
    Last edited by ThirstyinOhio; 09-17-2012 at 14:20.

Connoisseur

Auction, huh? Wow, already at 150% of retail. Stay classy, K&L

Guru

I dont fault them. I mean, they had one bottle. Why not?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    Auction, huh? Wow, already at 150% of retail. Stay classy, K&L
    I would have preferred a lottery so those without deep pockets could have even a slight chance for the opportunity to buy K&L's single bottle at retail but I can't get too worked up over a bottle I wouldn't have bought if given the chance. Perhaps K&L can donate everything over the $200 retail to OCEARCH like Jefferson's is doing. Just a thought Davids.

Back on topic, I'm curious to hear about the differences if anyone gets to sample dark and light. This experiment is intriguing.
    Last edited by berto; 09-17-2012 at 15:54.