Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Jefferson's Ocean - Bottle variation?

A little less than 4 hours to go on the K&L auction and the Jeff Ocean bid is currently at a modest $975.

Just a bit out of my price range...
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    A little less than 4 hours to go on the K&L auction and the Jeff Ocean bid is currently at a modest $975.

Just a bit out of my price range...
    I'm sure it's interesting and I would definitely like to taste it... but that is just crazy.

Taster

Sold! A mere $1,025.

Unreal.
    "I can resist everything except temptation" - Oscar Wilde

Seeing that makes me angry that I didn't immediately order a few bottles when I saw them for $181...oh well I still think that would have been too much $$ no matter how rare it is

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by passthebourbon View Post
    Sold! A mere $1,025.

Unreal.
    Everyone mark this moment when an independently bottled bourbon originally listed for $90 sold for over $1,000. This, more than any single event, marks the end of the golden age of whiskey and portends the crash.

Jefferson's Ocean Aged = pets.com

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    Everyone mark this moment when an independently bottled bourbon originally listed for $90 sold for over $1,000. This, more than any single event, marks the end of the golden age of whiskey and portends the crash.

Jefferson's Ocean Aged = pets.com
    Agreed.

It also marks the moment I decided I will not give this retailer any more business. I encourage others to think before buying bourbon. A retailer that encourages this madness via auctions and gouging and then claims this was done out of "fairness" sets a very bad precedent. While businesses are free to charge what they want, I am free to shop elsewhere.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 09-20-2012 at 21:31.

Virtuoso
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    Agreed.

It also marks the moment I decided I will not give this retailer any more business. I encourage others to think before buying bourbon. A retailer that encourages this madness via auctions and gouging and then claims this was done out of "fairness" sets a very bad precedent. While businesses are free to charge what they want, I am free to shop elsewhere.
    I can understand being upset but blaming the retailer here is sort of killing the messenger. They only got one bottle and chose to auction it. It was idiot consumers who bid it up to $1,000.

Taster

KL is a fantastic store and runs a classy operation. They also have a wine auction division. I see wines I want for $50 but some of those wines sell for $$$$$. Supply vs Demand. I want to buy Pappy for $40, Screaming Eagle Cab for $200, and Pliny the Younger in keg version. Just not gonna happen

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by SDpappy View Post
    KL is a fantastic store and runs a classy operation. They also have a wine auction division. I see wines I want for $50 but some of those wines sell for $$$$$. Supply vs Demand. I want to buy Pappy for $40, Screaming Eagle Cab for $200, and Pliny the Younger in keg version. Just not gonna happen
    With all due respect, that is a bit of a straw man argument. No one sells Pappy for $40 or Screaming Eagle for $200 as that is way below normal retail pricing. Those examples would never happen; however, it did happen that most places sold the Jefferson's at the suggested retail of ~$200.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 09-20-2012 at 23:28.

Enthusiast

I got a bottle for a mere $180, but haven't opened it yet. Of course, I'm willing to sell it for an even $1,000. Hell, I'll even throw in free shipping.
    Mat Garretson
    HIGH WEST DISTILLERY