Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Possible George Dickel Rye?

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Charcoal filtering has many uses and I think we're going to be seeing a lot more of it.
    Heaven Hill's eponymous BiB proclaims "Every Drop Charcoal Filtered," and I think the other HH-branded bottlings have similar language. The current Beam's Choice (green label) also makes a point of stating "Charcoal Filtered" on the label.

With regard to these, I have always made a few assumptions: 1) that most bourbons are charcoal filtered to one extent or another, 2) that Beam and HH label these as such in an attempt to make some sort of brand association with JD, and 3) that Beam's and HH's processes have virtually nothing in common with JD. Is that accurate? In Beam's case they say that it is filtered before bottling and I always figured that was HH's deal too.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    Heaven Hill's eponymous BiB proclaims "Every Drop Charcoal Filtered," and I think the other HH-branded bottlings have similar language. The current Beam's Choice (green label) also makes a point of stating "Charcoal Filtered" on the label.

With regard to these, I have always made a few assumptions: 1) that most bourbons are charcoal filtered to one extent or another, 2) that Beam and HH label these as such in an attempt to make some sort of brand association with JD, and 3) that Beam's and HH's processes have virtually nothing in common with JD. Is that accurate? In Beam's case they say that it is filtered before bottling and I always figured that was HH's deal too.
    Most whiskeys are chill-filtered before bottling to prevent chill haze. This usually involves a small amount of charcoal, tiny compared to what Daniel's or Dickel use, but charcoal nonetheless. So, yes, your assumptions are correct. Beam and HH, in an attempt to confuse the Daniel's drinker, use that tiny amount of charcoal contact to claim charcoal filtering.

Virtuoso

So when you say you expect to see more charcoal filtering, are you referring to pre- or post-aging?
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

The things I'm hearing about are post-aging. I'm surprised the micros haven't discovered it before now. It can make some of their very young products a lot more palatable.

Connoisseur

Review samples have been sent out per John Hansell.

Dickel Rye.jpg

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Phil T View Post
    Looking at the label, this is the 95% rye mashbill from LDI/MGP. It will be, cut, filtered, and bottled at 90 proof.

It better have a damn good price point for us to buy it, when you consider Willett unfiltered, uncut is about 30 bucks a bottle
    I just saw George Dickey Rye listed on the MI state liquor price list with a state min. price of $23 (which is $3 less than Bulleit Rye). I don't know if it has hit the retail stores yet, but it should be fairly soon.

Shell
    Last edited by Shell; 10-14-2012 at 12:53. Reason: correction

It has been officially announced but, since it's just another iteration of LDI rye, we've all already tried it.

Guru

I had forgotten about this thread, but http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...rge-dickel-rye Tom called it.

Although I guess it raises the question of what was actually in that bottle, since the Dickel rye is actually LDI distillate.
    Last edited by Josh; 10-14-2012 at 14:27.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

My assumption is that they bought LDI new make, ran it through their charcoal vats in Tullahoma, and barreled and aged it in Tullahoma, so Lunn did everything in Tullhoma except distill it.
    Last edited by cowdery; 10-15-2012 at 10:30.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    My assumption is that they bought LDI new make, ran it through their charcoal vats in Tullahoma, and barreled and aged it in Tullahoma, so Lumm did everything in Tullhoma except distill it.
    OK, from the thread I was assuming they just bought aged rye and then ran it through the charcoal before bottling.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog