Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Possible George Dickel Rye?

That might be right. I've looked over the promo materials and can't find a clue. They do say it's at least 5 years old. It's possible they were thinking about this in 2007. When was that video dated, where Lunn has the bottle on his desk? I've made an inquiry.

By the way, I like the $24.99 price point very much. Yet another reason to not buy Templeton.
    Last edited by cowdery; 10-15-2012 at 11:04.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    That might be right. I've looked over the promo materials and can't find a clue. They do say it's at least 5 years old. It's possible they were thinking about this in 2007. When was that video dated, where Lunn has the bottle on his desk? I've made an inquiry.

By the way, I like the $24.99 price point very much. Yet another reason to not buy Templeton.
    The new Rye label states "We start with the finest distilled Rye whisky in the world. Then we finish it the classic way..." The No. 12 label specifies its "sweet maple mellowing" before "he sent it to age". If I can read any truth in the Rye label with the word "finish" it would be that it is being maple-charcoal filtered after barreling and before bottling. https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonlin...12234001000261
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Connoisseur

I will try it, as I am a big dickel fan. I just wonder why in hell they did not just empty the fermenters in Tullahoma, make a rye mash and run it themselves. Could have made a good amount in a week. It being ldi takes a lot of the spirit out of the spirit.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I agree with Tom, to go to all this other trouble seems odd when you can make it easily yourself, especially as Dickel has never been IIRC a full-year operation i.e., full operations every day except for any summer closing period. (And even if they were...). Anyway, at 5 years aged it should be good.

I doubt by the way it was put through the maple charcoal process after dumping. They would have done that before barreling almost certainly, but I could be wrong of course.

Gary

Connoisseur

I had some of the rye in Chicago 2 weeks ago. It is LDI rye filtered through the charcoal vats at Dickel. It did give it a bit of a sweet and smokey taste i rather liked, but it was just one sip from the sample bottle. I would have liked to have spent more time with it.
    Mike Veach

Enthusiast

If the cola is right and this is Lawrenceburg juice, then this is a huge disaster. GD no.12 is a fantastic whiskey and bulleit rye is not, in my opinion. This is such a let down. what a sad day for rye fans.

On the upside, maybe this will bring more a attention to the GD brand and increase the availability of no. 12, that is, until they water it down or age it less or something.

Mike, was it LDI white dog put through the maple charcoal and then barreled?

Gary

Connoisseur

Gary,
    It was aged rye that was filtered.
    Mike Veach

But aged how long?

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I got a sample yesterday and it tastes very different from, say, Bulleit Rye. The shock is that you expect filtering like that, especially after aging, to strip away flavor and simply give it a milder taste. Instead it really changes the flavor. Not sure if I can say I like it yet, but it's very flavorful and tastes nothing like anybody else's LDI rye. The main flavor I get, believe it or not, is grapefruit.

The word 'finish' implies something done to the aged spirit, but the term is not defined at law and so they might be using it loosely.

That is, however, the most likely scenario, as I doubt this was a from-scratch proposition. I imagine that they took some LDI rye, aged at LDI for (they say) at least five years, then chilled and charcoaled it in Tullahoma to make it Dickel. The unusual taste may be because of the filtering or it could be the barrel selection. My suspicion is that Diegeo owns a pipeline's worth of LDI whiskey that it bought for blending but is now using for some straights. That whiskey wouldn't show up in LDI's spreadsheets since it is already owned by Diageo.

Whatever success they have had with Bulleit Rye, it's fair to assume they will have the same success with Dickel, since most of the trial will be brand customers who want to try a rye.

The suggested price point, by the way, is a very reasonable $24.99.
    Last edited by cowdery; 10-16-2012 at 10:54.