Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 73
  1. #51
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southeastern Michigan
    Posts
    123

    Re: Possible George Dickel Rye?

    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Dickel products are bottled in Plainfield. There is no bottling in Tullahoma at the distillery.
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Probably the most interesting thing John Lunn told me about Dickel is that they don't have computer process controls like everybody else now does. It's essentially still run using the technology that was current when it was built in 1958. There is a worker who controls the boiler using manual controls and analog gauges, same with the still.
    This is pretty intriguing: If all of Dickel's whisky is produced in IN, then the only thing that Dickel does in TN is produce the charcoal to be shipped to the Plainfield, IL bottling site.
    Last edited by Shell; 10-29-2012 at 18:07.

  2. #52
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by Shell View Post
    This is pretty intriguing: If all of Dickel's whisky is produced in IN, then the only thing that Dickel does in TN is produce the charcoal to be shipped to the Plainfield, IL bottling site.
    The Dickel Rye is distilled and aged in Indiana. Then send to Plainfield for bottling and now charcoal filtering. They distill and age the Tennessee whiskey in Tennessee and ship it to Plainfield for bottling.

  3. #53
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southeastern Michigan
    Posts
    123

    Re: Possible George Dickel Rye?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ejmharris View Post
    The Dickel Rye is distilled and aged in Indiana. Then send to Plainfield for bottling and now charcoal filtering. They distill and age the Tennessee whiskey in Tennessee and ship it to Plainfield for bottling.
    Thanks very much for the clarification.

  4. #54
    Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicagoland, Illinois
    Posts
    1,601

    Re: Possible George Dickel Rye?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shell View Post
    Thanks very much for the clarification.
    And to clarify more and the Tennessee whiskey is charcoal filtered (in Tullahoma) after distilling and before barrelling whereas the rye is being charcoal filtered (in Plainfield) after being dumped from the barrel.
    Thad

    BTOTY-2011

  5. #55
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    927

    Re: Possible George Dickel Rye?

    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Probably the most interesting thing John Lunn told me about Dickel is that they don't have computer process controls like everybody else now does. It's essentially still run using the technology that was current when it was built in 1958. There is a worker who controls the boiler using manual controls and analog gauges, same with the still.
    This is maybe one reason I like dickel so much. It amazes me how many distilleries including a lot of the new micros are automated. I think you take the human element out, you loose flavor. Still companies are eager to sell automation devices too, told us they could do it for us, I said nope, i want a valve for steam, one for beer feed and a flow meter for both. If I am not mistaken and Chuck can correct me, the old WT plant that was torn down was not automated either.

  6. #56
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12,540

    Re: Possible George Dickel Rye?

    They had computerized controls on the fermenters and perhaps the cookers but not the still. Eddie showed me where the guy's chair was and the valve he operated. He went mostly on vibration (feel) and sound. So, yes, they had a full-time still operator who ran the still manually.

  7. #57
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Alliance,Ohio
    Posts
    1,514

    Re: Possible George Dickel Rye?

    Got a bottle of this last week. Somewhat different due to the charcoal filtering!

    Thomas

  8. #58
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    444

    Re: Possible George Dickel Rye?

    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    They had computerized controls on the fermenters and perhaps the cookers but not the still. Eddie showed me where the guy's chair was and the valve he operated. He went mostly on vibration (feel) and sound. So, yes, they had a full-time still operator who ran the still manually.
    So, wait...the new WT plant is automated/computerized all the way through? I wonder how many changes they made...sigh.

  9. #59
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12,540

    Re: Possible George Dickel Rye?

    I haven't been through WT yet but as I understand it, the plant is fully modern, no more or less modern than most others. Mostly what is automated are process controls. The main thing at WT that didn't have them before was the beer still itself. At this point, I know of only one major distillery that doesn't have computerized process controls on most of the equipment. Buffalo Trace even has theirs web enabled so Harlen can monitor everything when he's traveling. If you're looking for a major distillery without them, that ship has just about sailed. The sole exception: George Dickel. They have no computers in the distillery, according to Master Distiller John Lunn. He told me "everything is sight and sound, touch and feel, the old-fashioned way."

  10. #60
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    3,010

    Re: Possible George Dickel Rye?

    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I haven't been through WT yet but as I understand it, the plant is fully modern, no more or less modern than most others. Mostly what is automated are process controls. The main thing at WT that didn't have them before was the beer still itself. At this point, I know of only one major distillery that doesn't have computerized process controls on most of the equipment. Buffalo Trace even has theirs web enabled so Harlen can monitor everything when he's traveling. If you're looking for a major distillery without them, that ship has just about sailed. The sole exception: George Dickel. They have no computers in the distillery, according to Master Distiller John Lunn. He told me "everything is sight and sound, touch and feel, the old-fashioned way."
    Chuck

    I was under the impresion that most of the master distillers could monitor the distillery from the road?
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Age of George Dickel no 12
    By trumpstylz in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-18-2011, 15:39
  2. george dickel rye?
    By tmckenzie in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-16-2010, 20:33
  3. george dickel
    By leebo in forum Other American Whiskey Tastings
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-01-2008, 02:59
  4. George Dickel
    By Exdimmerjock in forum New to Straightbourbon
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-03-2007, 06:17
  5. George Dickel No 12 age?
    By brian12069 in forum Other American Whiskey
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-30-2004, 19:35

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top